What OS a the best for Server

Status
Not open for further replies.
Linux: Because it's free LOL, no seriously it's free that's why I would prefer it, but if you don't know the inside out of Linux, you'll have a hard time with it at first but you'll learn.

What is FreeBSD? No, FreeBSD is a very reliable and robust OS, I have never used it but I have heard good news.

Windows 2003: It's pretty easy to setup, but why would you pay $500-$800 for this when you can do the same in Linux. Know what I'm saying? I have it running on my system, don't ask me why LOL. Just to play around with it I guess.

Novell NetWare?: Don't go this route unless you like it, because they will stop support for NetWare in 2010 I beleieve, since Novell is moving towards SUSE now and focusing all their resource on it.

IBM, HP: Don't know anything about them.

Law said:
Windows 2003: It's pretty easy to setup, but why would you pay $500-$800 for this when you can do the same in Linux. Know what I'm saying? I have it running on my system, don't ask me why LOL. Just to play around with it I guess.
I would say heck no, absolutely not. Like I love to say, I've seen a Windows 2003 server crash in 45 minutes flat...one behind one of the best firewalls I've ever seen, and totally protected by people with large, shiny Masters' degrees in $100 frames.

It was probably a bad setup, hardware problem. I've never had any bad experience with 2003, I have had bad experience with NT and 2000 though. We test the machine for a week before we roll it out into production. I would say everyone is entitle to their opinion base on their experience with the product. I didn't say it was the best though, was just pointing out some idea about it.

Why should you have to do that?

And why is it that whenever Windows Server 2003 has a problem, they blame it on hardware or a bad setup? Haven't you thought that maybe it's the OS thats broken, and not the hardware?

The General said:
Why should you have to do that?

And why is it that whenever Windows Server 2003 has a problem, they blame it on hardware or a bad setup? Haven't you thought that maybe it's the OS thats broken, and not the hardware?

The reason you idle a server is so if it does indeed crash you don't lose any info and you don't have to take down a production server...

re: OS broken.

You'de be right if the 2003 server OS weren't one of the most popular server Os's out there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom