What Linux OS is closest to Mac?

Status
Not open for further replies.

That one kid

Solid State Member
My grandpa finally got a computer but it was an older Macontosh and now he's hooked on them. He's looking at getting a new Mac system but I just can't let him spend $1500 on a 2 GHz system...

Are there any Linux distros that are very similar to the Mac OS? Also, any linux equivilents to Mac programs would be helpful too.

the closest things to Mac are Yellow Dog Linux and the windowmanager Gnome on just about any linux distro

I looked at Yellowdogs website, but it looks like Yellowdog is just for using on old Mac's. I forgot to mention that I'm planning on putting Linux on a PC I just want it to be similar to Mac so my Grandpa can understand it. All my Linux distro's look like and operate like windows.

you cant let him spend 1500 dollars on a 2ghz machine ....

are you still under the impression that ghz counts?

the ghz war is over. it was over when people found out that a 1.5ghz amd opteron outran a p4 3.0 ghz. at that point intel needed a new marketing scheme. at this point its VIIV

if your grandpa is not good with computers, DO HIM A FAVOR AND DO NOT GIVE HIM A LINUX BOX.

let him get the mac, it will be well worth it.

Yes a mac mini would do him just fine... It just sucks at any applications using a hint of 3d with its integrated graphics.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom