What Linux Distro do you run on your webservers (this goes for all members as well that run thier own sites)

what linux distro do you use for your web server?

• Total voters
I use archlinux because I downloaded it by accident for my raspberrypi and figured I'd give it a shot and haven't looked back since! I may load up CentOS on my second one just to see the differences between the two OS's.

I don't even know why Redhat is up there... *shudder* I have stayed veeerrrryyy far away from it ever since Fedora Core 2.

In the army we use Redhat as domain and workstations are CentOS. Anyone know reasoning why you would do that?

Domain = servers. They probably went with Red Hat so they had the bundled support for the servers, but the end client stations kept as CentOS to shave off support costs. It's actually a decent combo when you think about it.

It's like having a support number for Windows Server 2008, but no support except internal IT staff for your Windows 7 boxes. The most important thing is covered by additional support while the end client boxes are not to save a few bucks.

Considering CentOS is basically a direct fork of Red Hat, minus the bundled support, things probably look rather transparent between the two platforms.

Back
Top Bottom