What do you people think about ubuntu linux?

Status
Not open for further replies.
duester said:
Ok, rephrase what I said...I understand that programmers and the people who make linux may need money. But if you look into what open source really means, and what the dream of linux is, you'd understand what I am talking about. I believe it is perfectly alright to charge for tech support and service, but for the OS itself, no. Linux is meant to be shared by the people, and helped by the people. So, yes, it is like a psydo communism base, but unlike you, I believe it will work. For those who want support can pay for it, but open source should always stay free, since that is the dream....even check out ubuntu's mission statement!

Read any FAQ on GNU and Open Source....

"Open Source as in free speech, not free beer."

Ubuntu is cool, just another distro after all..

before i switched to freeBSD, i was running Kubuntu.. So i like it alot :D

i ordered 5 cds of Ubuntu sometimes around 8 months ago, and about the time when i forgot i even did it, it got mailed to me.. so that's about 3 months after the fact, i live in Toronto Canada..

if you want truly free stuff, try to get your own distro from kernel and build everything yourself :D

ubuntu is great. simple like someone said. i'm running it on a P2 sony vaio laptop with 64megs of ram!!! a little slow but it works...

Anyone new installing Linux with PCI Express vid cards should be warned:

You will be logging in and out constantly to fix the jumbled screen. It was supposed to be fixed in one of the updates but people continue to have problems with this and its the only thing keeping me from making a permanent switch to Linux.

It's a great operating system to give to a friend without a lot of experience with computers, and it will keep them from getting their system messed up. I love the Add/Remove programs list they added in the the newest version.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom