Wanting To Dual Boot Ubuntu

Status
Not open for further replies.

theopfor

In Runtime
The currently installed OS is Windows.

Yesterday I tried Ubuntu on a memory stick. I really like the OS and when I shutdown the computer I was expecting all my Ubuntu programs I installed still there. Well so now I want to download it onto my computer for a dual boot so that it will save. The Ubuntu website says I should back up everything and get a Windows recovery CD. Well I have a problem with that.... My computer has no CD drive. Any way I can still perform this operation? I don't want to have something go wrong and then have no Windows.

Yeah, that is a live-cd. Nothing is saved.

What version of Windows do you have? How does it not have a CD/DVD drive? Is this a netbook, or something?

Do you have a restore partition? Most netbooks come with one. As they don't come with a CD/DVD. You should be fine with that.

They say to back everything up in the case that you mess up the install, but it is very straight forward. If I were you, I'd take 7 Starter off. It is way too crippled. Linux does wonders that 7 Starter can only wish.

I had Ubuntu 10.4 only on my netbook, when I had it. Sold it off a year or 2 ago. IMO, way better than XP as far as usability and security.

I don't have any other computer so I am only keeping Windows in case I need to use a Windows program. How would I check for a restore partition? I am on Ubuntu right now.

Check what partitions you have on your drive. It should be marked as "recovery". Also, your netbook's POST, when you first turn it on, should say that you press a F# key to go into the recovery section.

can always try Wine. ;) But yeah, keep Windows on just in case.

I recommend you install with Wubi.. I don't see why more people don't recommend it. It's fantastic for beginners and those looking to just mess around.

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/WubiGuide

It's included on the ubuntu iso, so all you have to do is mount the disk with some program like Dameon Tools or PowerISO and run and install from within Windows. If you want to uninstall, all you have to do is uninstall it with the Windows Add / Remove Programs.

You can access your host Windows computer within Ubuntu through the /host folder (on the root of the drive)

In Ubuntu, to check if you have that recovery drive, it should mount as a separate drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom