Want to make the move to Linux for good...advice?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well I still am running SUSE 10.2 and do enjoy the OS. I like linux in general already. CLI is nice to have.

I have downloaded an .iso of PCLinuxOS a while back, but never tired it yet and have heard only good things about it still. I am still having trouble with wireless adapters on SUSE 10.2, but I may get it working finally through help on suseforums...at least the linux users are friendly and willing to help a lot...I do appreciate that a ton...if I don't get SUSE working here with internet soon though, maybe I will drop PCLinuxOS over top of it and see how I like it.

I would recommend VMWare. Set up Windows and install your applications that you can't use in Linux in your Windows installation. I prefer using VM over WINE just because I prefer being in a Windows environment when using a Windows application; and I prefer VM over dual booting because you don't have to restart.

Good luck on your switch.

I agree that this is totally the way to go. That's what I did and it helped me be patient while learning Linux. Before I used VMware, I would get frustrated after a couple weeks of using Linux exclusively and go back to windows. Good luck and have fun!

There's really not a whole lot you'd need to use via WINE, most programs have a great open source alternative.

When I first started with Linux I didn't even own a copy of Windows, so it helped me jump right in. Actually, I still don't even have a copy. I've never really needed it.

Well I ran OpenSUSE 10.2 in GNOME/KDE formats and enjoyed the interface a great deal, very pretty. I couldn't get wireless to work though. I got really close, but no web surfing actually. I got an image of PCLinuxOS 2007 TR4 and am going to try it out tonight along with Ubuntu 6.06 and see how they run. If I get wireless on one of them...I'll probably stop there and get used to that distro for a while and move on to a more advanced version later. I do like Linux though so far, a lot more than XP.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom