Want to make the move to Linux for good...advice?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow, thanks so much Jakec. Tons of input!

Well I've installed OpenSUSE 10.2 and love the interface, it's pretty as ****. But now I se the cool Beryl/Ubuntu 7.04 or whatever thing and it looks even slicker.

But, I like SUSE so far, so I'm going to stick too it for now, especially until I build a newer machine that can even handle Beryl...my oldass Ti4200 128mb card in no way could support Aero for Vista, so I doubt it could handle Beryl as well.

I'm figuring out a lot of stuff. I get stuck often in the SUSE documentation within the OS, seems unhelpful sometimes, but I'm on suseforums.net now and I'm getting great support. Thanks for all of your help guys!

But, I like SUSE so far, so I'm going to stick too it for now, especially until I build a newer machine that can even handle Beryl...my oldass Ti4200 128mb card in no way could support Aero for Vista, so I doubt it could handle Beryl as well.

What are the system requirements for Beryl?
Beryl runs acceptably well on a GeForce 3/i855/Radeon 7500, 256MB of RAM, and a 1.2GHz processor. It also works best with Xorg 7.1 and requires a recent version of Mesa.

It might be able to run it.

Beryl - openSUSE
Here is how to install it if you want to give it a try.

Oh it can go on any platform? I thought it was a Ubuntu specific program..everyone kept saying buntu/beryl..well ****...maybe I will try it then, thanks so much!

My PC is old, runs an AMD 3400+ @ 2.4GHz 1GB RAM< GeForce4 Ti4200 graphics card...maybe it will work then...that'd be neat!

Yes it can.

OpenSUSE 10.2 is a great distro and one of my favorite for those who are new to Linux. It's probably one of the easiest to use.

Cool.

Wel lI had it installed, but ran into problems so tonight I'm, redoing everything. OpenSUSE 10.2 will be primary HD, with a clean stripped copy of XP I made for 2nd HD and storing media files to my xbox...woohoo.

Can't wait to finally get SUSE working properly. I'm sure I'll love it and Beryl looks really slick!

Cool.

Wel lI had it installed, but ran into problems so tonight I'm, redoing everything. OpenSUSE 10.2 will be primary HD, with a clean stripped copy of XP I made for 2nd HD and storing media files to my xbox...woohoo.

Can't wait to finally get SUSE working properly. I'm sure I'll love it and Beryl looks really slick!

The first thing I do when I install SUSE, is to get 3D support for my video card then you can have fun with Beryl. If you have any problems with SUSE let me know.

I would recommend VMWare. Set up Windows and install your applications that you can't use in Linux in your Windows installation. I prefer using VM over WINE just because I prefer being in a Windows environment when using a Windows application; and I prefer VM over dual booting because you don't have to restart.

Good luck on your switch.

yes i have heard great things about openSUSE and i am going to try it out once i can get a blank DVD. but the very first distro i ever tried was PCLinuxOS .93 and i loved it, its great for beginners, and yet, its good enough to use if you're not. and the interface is similar to windows so if you're new to linux, you can get used to the good things about linux without being confused about finding your way around. PCLinuxOS is also very good at detecting hardware too. well, most of the top linux distros are now.

another one is SimplyMEPIS, thats a great one, great interface, great hardware detection, great everything, but not quite as much for someone new to linux, but still very user-friendly.

i would recommend PCLinuxOS, or you can stick with openSUSE, but i tried to install SimplyMEPIS on my external hard drive, and for some reason, maybe because i didnt put the bootloader on my main hard drive, i don't know, but it never booted up.

PCLinuxOS on the other hand, when i first got it, (remember it was the first linux i ever tried) i decided to install it to my hard drive. it was the easiest Linux HDD installation i have used, and it booted up correctly and never had any errors. on that hard drive i had Win98, WinXP, and PCLinuxOS, and the GRUB bootloader, which automatically comes with the PCLinuxOS installation, handled all the OS's perfectly.

so here's what i would suggest:

wait a month or so and keep using openSUSE, if you like it, stick with it, but i think in about a month pclinuxos 2007 is comming out and it looks amazing. with the 3d cube desktop switching and all. ( i have used 3d desktop cube and it is great.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom