VMWare -> Ubuntu

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anphrax

In Runtime
Hey guys, this is more of an advanced question than anything else so im not expecting a quick answer...

I picked up my copy of VMWare and figured I would try out Ubuntu on it, so I downloaded the Ubuntu cd installation files. But when I start up my Ubuntu virtual machine it automaticaly trys to boot from some random file (can't remember the name right now). The cd is in the cd tray, the boot sequances are correctly set up, I cant figure out whats wrong. So if anyone here uses VMWare 5.5.0 Workstation and know that im doing something wrong (im sure I am) I could use the help :mad:

-Andy

Figured it out... If anyone else was having problems with this just follow along.

HOW TO: Install Ubuntu on VMWare Workstation v5.5.0

1) Download Ubuntu .iso file from the right location

2) Extract all files from the .iso

3) Burn to cd

4) Download DAEMON Tools Utility install...

5) Place cd in drive, mount .iso file from 1) using the DAEMON Tools Utility above.

6) Run your Virtual Machine using VMware Workstation 5.5.0

7) Continue installation of Ubuntu

I hope this helps someone :p Took me quite some time to finaly figure that out. :mad:

I'm pretty sure you could skip the step of burning the .iso to a CD. One of the cool things about VMware is you can boot .iso files just like a virtual drive!

Burning the .iso to a cd makes it so when you crash your virtual machine, you dont have to download the .iso file again. Its an optional step.

huh? what? you didn't save your iso after you download?

The vmware manual has a wonderful tutorial on how to start installation.. Go to, Help -> VMware Guest Operating System Installation Guide, there should be a guide for ubuntu os, read it, then you can set up the whole thing easily :D

lol someone didnt read the manual. dont extract the files from the ISO worst idea ever. just use vmware's virtual drive iso feature.

burning iso's or disc images NEVER EVER includes extracting the files.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom