VMware - new version on Linux

Status
Not open for further replies.

pistonpilot

Beta member
I'm looking to use Linux as a replacement for Windows. I'm tired of reloading Windows more than you know.

Has anyone used VMware's new version 5 on a Linux distrobution and which one? I need to run Windows programs but I'd prefer to have my core OS be Linux.

It's cheaper than a Mac.

I can't say anything about 5 but 4.5.2 runs GREAT on my setup. I run it on a Slackware box (check my sig) and it hosts Slackware, FreeBSD, XP, Solaris and am working on hacking my install disks for AT&T SVR4 2.1a to install in it - never had any virtualization software able to install this one). If the only virtualization software you've used is Virtual PC, you will be very pleasantly surprised. I imagine 5.0 is even better. About the only thing that I wouldnt try to do in VMWare is (of course) heavy gaming.

Wine can also work in many cases if you are mainly trying to run Office programs and tools, with a lot less overhead than emulating an entire box. ( http://www.winehq.org )

--Scott

PS: does anyone have any experience with the later versions of Bochs? especially Solaris 8/9/10 and SVR4 2.1a(i386)?

I've used VMware's 4.5x and ran up against many limitations that 5.X might fix.

I used on a Windows Platform. My limitations were scanner and sound.

I tire of reinstalling windows all the time so I tried to run Windows in a Virtual Machine figuring I could take snapshots and backup the snapshots.

I found myself flipping back and forth from VM to real machine too much to make it work.

It was also much too slow.

H

slow? i often don't find it to be that - what were you running it on?

sound seems to work a little better in linux thatn in windows. i had some difficulty when i ran it under XP on the same hardware, but it works just fine under linux on my box. havn't tried scanners so i can't honestly say on that. i should give that a shot...

--Poly

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom