Video Card for Ubuntu 10.04?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GhOsT1321

Daemon Poster
Hello new Tech-Forums :big_smile:
I have a Nvidia GeForce 9500GT and wish to install it into a computer with Ubuntu 10.04 OS installed. After installing the card, how could I find drivers for this card? Is this card even compatible with Ubuntu 10.04?

I am a bit lost when it comes to the Ubuntu 10.04 operating system, I am a bit lost.

Just install the card like normal, go under your Ubuntu Updater and it will download the drivers automatically for you.

Wow, could have sworn there was more to it than that, thanks Mak.
Gonna install the card right now.

Working fine, although the HD playback on youtube is less than desirable...
Everything is running smooth, thanks Mak

EDIT: gah, forgot to install drivers, installed drivers and now everything works perfectly that I had hoped for, thanks again
Instead of the updater, I had to use Hardware Drivers

Could've gone System - Administration - Additional Drivers. I will scan your computer for needed drivers.

Up your visual effects too. In Appearance Preferences. I love the wavy windows when you drag it. :p

In Ubuntu 10.04, it's at System - Administration - Hardware Drivers.
In Ubuntu 10.10, it's at System - Administration - Additional Drivers.

They both do the same thing.

Upon a fresh boot it should even notify you about restricted drivers available or something :tongue:

Could've gone System - Administration - Additional Drivers. I will scan your computer for needed drivers.

Up your visual effects too. In Appearance Preferences. I love the wavy windows when you drag it. :p

Thank you for the info, I'm quite inexperienced when it comes to Ubuntu, and any Linux based OS for that matter. The computer is my father's and I'm sure he would not like any visual effects, maybe one day when I feel like messing with him I will play around with them.

No kidding. April's release will prove to be a heckuva change for Ubuntu. Gnome will always be around though, which will prove nice for those of us who use Ubuntu desktop edition as a server. Unity on a server is kind of LOL-able.

Even still, I've been playing with Unity for a while now. I've also been testing Gnome Shell for the last... uh... 9 months or so??? Gnome Shell I felt needed a lot of work to get a true leg up so it wasn't a total bomb upon release. I feel as though Unity is more well rounded for ACTUAL usage. I enjoy it, but I'm still learning the ins and outs of it.

Like everything else, I'm trying not to formally judge it until its release. I've tested some software with Linux that was one thing and two weeks later @ the final release it was COMPLETELY different. But so far - I like what I see.

But for simplicity sake, if you don't care or don't want any change, Gnome 2.X is the way to go. LXDE might prove to be handy too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom