VI text editor

Status
Not open for further replies.

NIN

In Runtime
I am a noob to linux and I'm studing for the linux+. In my text editing chapter They explain the most popular text editor is an old unix one called vi but it is rather difficult to run compared to the onthers.

Is it worth it to learn vi considering it will be bundled with almost every linux/unix system out there. I will be a pain to learn the commands but it may be worth it in the long run. Opinions?

try pico, it comes with the pine package, its pretty common too, and quite easy to use, or get the clone called nano.

Pico is awsome. Simple and light weight, I love it... or try JED also a good one, pretty powerfull. Still pico is quicker.

Pico would be my choice but vi has such great portability. I was wandering if it is worth it to spend the time to learn vi. I will be used on every unix/linux system you run into.

Basically the question is will I run into it in the workplace or will pico be enough.

sure its worth spending time to learn it, but I doubt you will use it much in the real world these days

VI is easy to learn what are you going on about, all you need to know is a few basic commands and you are good to go, it should take you no longer than an afternoon.

This really depends on what you want to do.

If your are constantly having to change value's in text config files/shell scripts etc. on some sort of *nix via the terminal vi is invaluable. For me this is mainly because I have yet to come across a terminal session where I can't run the command 'vi sometexfile'. Portability of knowledge rules as it implies so much less learning to be done, ie. efficiency gains.

If you are looking for complex, easily accessible features in a text editor and don't have to use a terminal session go for something else.

VI is the bomb diggity. If you're using pico or nano, then you must be smoking some pretty funky weed, because vim just blows everything else away. It's so much better and so much more versitle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom