Using Backtrack in a Pen-Test lab

GLaDOS

In Runtime
Hello everyone,

I am trying to essentially set up a penetration-testing lab in a single machine. I've read guides on how to do this online, but I had a few questions that I didn't see answered in the guide so I thought I'd post them here.

I recently got my hands on an older Dell Optiplex Gx620. The specs are:
Memory: 2 GB
Processor: Intel Pentium 4 CPU 3.20 GHz x 2
HDD: 77.7 GB

Nothing cutting edge, but I paid next to nothing for it and I was hoping to set this machine up to act as a pen-test lab. I'm trying to teach myself some computer security concepts, as I hope to work one day in Information Security. This box is not a production machine, it is only being used for this purpose so I can maximize the resources for this project.

I am trying to set up Bactrack and use it to attack Windows XP SP2 (I have the install cd for windows). I am trying to figure out the best way to go about this. Most of the guides I read suggest setting up 2 virtual boxes and have one attack the other. The only issue I have with this is that I don't use VMs too often, so I'm wondering if it would be better to install BackTrack directly to the hard drive and attack a Windows XP VM that way. My other concern is that I don't want anything I am doing to bleed over to our wireless network - I currently have the desktop hooked up to a wireless usb stick that detects our wireless network. Can I just take out the wireless card and be safe knowing that everything will be contained on that single machine?

If someone could just give me a general idea as to how to go about this, I'd really appreciate it. I'm really excited to get started learning Backtrack, but I don't want to just go rushing in without an idea of what I am doing and inadvertently attack a production machine.

Also, if anyone has any resources for a beginner to BackTrack that they would suggest, I would certainly be appreciative!

Thanks everyone, I really appreciate your help and advice.

I'd do it by virtual machine, just so that when you break it, its as easy to just copy and redo the computer.

I have, way back, installed backtrax, and put a vm on that machine.
As for resources last time I was on their forum, it was pretty good.

you should be able to pick and choose which network adapters to use in the hypervisor software (xen, vmware, hyperv)

i would look to setup a virtual switch for these machines and never attach it to a uplink or network adapter on the host server.

Back
Top Bottom