Unix...Which should I choose

Status
Not open for further replies.

discreteenmity

Solid State Member
I want to teach myself UNIX and wanted to hear your opinions of which flavor I should use. There is solaris, freebsd, openbsd, netbsd, and others. Which should I go with and a few whys?

I would recommend Freebsd.
Best hardware support out of the bunch, pretty secure, large userbase, easier to use (imo). Openbsd is designed with security in mind but I find freebsd is nicer even in secure applications. Solaris from what I heard is nothing special. Same with netbsd.
Go with freebsd.

"FreeB$disk..."

FreeBSD is a wondefil little thing, I tell you. I set up a dedicated server with it once...

And it served... :cool:

Well, they are looking for a Unix, not Linux which is what all of the above links are.
Although they are similiar, they do have their differences.
Anyways )..

You didn't really tell us why you want to use unix, because i believe unix caters to a much more specific niche than linux does, and technically, linux conforms to POSIX standard, that makes it a unix-like system, which is quite close to the real thing unless you want to get lower than user-level tools..

Unix is just a trademark, technically, freebsd is not a unix in the sense that you cannot call it as such.. Since it didn't bother to get certification from the unix foundation..

I'm looking for something that is used most often in the industry. For servers and such. I know a bit of linux (RHEL) but want to expand my repertoire. Sorry for not being as specific before. Thanks for the replies though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom