Unix

Status
Not open for further replies.

Codeine

Fully Optimized
Hey im currently in the middle of builting an AMD computer. I decided that im going to run Unix. I have never used Unix before, nor do i know witch is the lastest version. Can anyone recommend witch version is the best.

Check FreeBSD if you don't want to pay for the official UNIX...

Do you perhaps mean you want Linux...because I don't know many people who don't know much about UNIX and UNIX based OSes and wants to install the paid-for UNIX from Sun Microsystems. Generally not intended for desktops...more server and workstation oriented.

Yeah, I've never heard of UNIX being run on a desktop PC. It is an ideal choice however for server systems. Does anybody know how it compared to a Linux-based OS?

Well i dont have much of a choice, im not runing Windows nor Mac. I was thinking Linux too, would that be a better idea...?

yep, run linux or freebsd if your wanting a unix like OS for the desktop, or even Darwin can be used with desktop PC's

Can you tell me witch version of Linux would be ideal. Im sure their are more then one. I do plan on buying it, im not going to DL that kind of thing.

there's hundreds LOL

try redhat,mandrake, or slackware

if you want a good place to start and just learn about linux before you do an actual install, get knoppix, if youve got a broadband connection the download isnt bad, d/l it, burn it onto a disk and bott up, its a "live" cd, runs from the cdrom, no hard drive needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom