Understanding GParted - Or, well, I'm trying to.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jayce

Fully Optimized
So I got a flash drive. 8gb Sandisk Micro Cruzer. Labeled as compatible with Linux 2.4 and later. Okay, good.

So it mounts as /media/disk... ehh, I'd rather see it /media/Sandisk... so I researched forums and quickly found that I should format the drive using FAT32 and use the label feature GParted has.

So I pull the drive out and I see an error message. Gahh. I suck. It wasn't unmounted and was actually transferring data. Man I'm stupid! So anyway, I just decide to format it since the data I was transferring to it I have backed up. So I plug it back in and it responds just fine. Okay, good. So I go to GParted and format it to FAT32. I see the label feature and label it as "Sandisk." So, it formats. Successful. K, great. But despite it being successful, I get an error. Unknown partition on Sandisk. What the ****?

Without going into a long BS story about this, even though I already have, it seems that in order for labeling this disk, I have to format it to its default name first.

So, I format it to FAT32. Success.
Then, I format it to FAT32 WITH a label afterwards. Success.

If I format it to FAT32 with a label on the first step, it yells at me with errors. I have seriously formatted this thing about 20 times trying to find a pattern but this is the best thing I can come up with.

Can anybody find a reason as to why I would have to format it to FAT32 first, THEN reformat it to FAT32 with a label?

Note - I don't have the option to label the partition until I create a new partition. So I have to delete the partition, add a new one, and from there label it along with selecting the file system (fat32) before proceeding.

EDIT - I'm testing this on an external usb HDD I have laying around and I'm getting the exact same results. Even though everything works perfectly, I often get a dbug error saying the specified volume was not found. Yet, everything formats accordingly and works afterwards. Very strange.

EDIT 2 - Then again, I just noticed that the error is GParted being unable to mount the drive. I guess that makes sense as to why everything is successful yet I get an error. It simply can't mount it. If I unplug the drive (it's not mounted, so I can unplug it fine) and then plug it back in, it mounts just fine. I guess that's all there is to it... I should have noticed it sooner. But oh well... guess we can keep this up for discussion purposes! I'd kinda like to know why I get the error even if it is just a mount error and everything else performs fine...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom