Unbuntu Linux

Status
Not open for further replies.
Actually, some of it is pretty useful. I don't know if you saw the vista style switcher, but it rocks. It is an advanced alt+tab thing. Your window in the selector will appear semi-transparent behind it and if it is a video, it will even play :)

The OSX window sorter thing is also neat. I use it a lot.

It is still beta, but XGL+Compiz is pretty stable for me but not for some others.

If you want to learn Linux, try SuSE 10 Linux.

The experts on Linux do not like SuSE because they say it is too much like WinXP. I like it, however, because it allows me to learn more easily.

The nice thing is, Linux allows you to use documents created on XP, but XP won't allow you to use documents created with Linux. M$ wouldn't want to admitt that there is an OS that is as good or better than theirs.

If I could play my games in Linux without an emulator, I would use Linux as my primary OS.

For one thing, there are thousands of apps available free for Linux.

Once I build my new computer, my old box will be my Linux box. I will connect them with a wireless network and use my DSL with both.

old_geekster50 said:
If you want to learn Linux, try SuSE 10 Linux.

I don't like it because ot is similar to winxp. I don't like it because
1. It uses rpm. Horrible at solving dependencys and slow.
2. Yast. While it is pretty cool, the package manager is really slow. It takes a long time to get where you can install stuff because it takes a while to solve dependencys (if I remember correctly).

If you don't want Ubuntu, I recommend checking out PClinuxOS. it is based on mandriva, but it is tweaked (packages + kernel), and it has preinstalled multimedia support.

There have been many improvements made in v.10.

You will note that I mentioned Linux enthusiasts don't like SuSE. I have read all of the Linux forums, so I am aware of your feelings.

However, the things that you don't like are the things that make it easier for those of us who want to learn quickly.

old_geekster50 said:
However, the things that you don't like are the things that make it easier for those of us who want to learn quickly.
Luke learned "quickly" in SW:TESB, and still got his arm chopped off.
(Sorry, couldn't help myself.)

Anyways, quick isn't always best, sometimes screwing with things the old fashioned way is best.

haha thats so true, and he also lost against the emperor and darth vader had to save his ***

easy things impede learning, if you want to learn how to drive a stick, driving an automatic wont help at all.

I agree we can learn from our mistakes, but I'd rather not make mistakes in the first place, if at all possible.

"Quality" is doing it right the first time.

Besides, once I learned SuSE, then I moved on to other brands, Redhat, etc.

A carpenter doesn't begin with the roof of a house, he/she starts with the foundation! I guess my age is showing. huh?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom