Ummm about partitioning...

Status
Not open for further replies.

DawnOfDoom

Daemon Poster
I've previously installed ubuntu before and i didnt exactly like it that well. so i deleted it an it left me with a blank logical drive so i started using it again. and i've got 90 gigs left on my logical drive ( the remnants of my previous ubuntu experience ) and i want to give ubuntu only 20 gigs outa that 90 so what do i set the slider on while im doing the partitioning.

also i've heard before that i can get files from my other drives while in ubuntu and use those files. now i want to be able to be in linux on my logical drive with only 20 gigs to it. okay now i want to be able to access my music which is also on this logical drive. Windows is on my original C drive ( my physical ). so my music is on the logical and i want to access it while in linux which is also on the logical. how do i do this? because im thinking about just doing this instead of buying a whole new HDD. or would it be easier booting like that?

i just dont want to screw this up again like i did last time. (although it wasnt a complete screw up more of an inconvenience)

now with 20 gigs aloted to ubuntu will that be enough room to have some programs downloaded such as advant, amorak, pidgin, Beryl, and compiz-fusion?

i know this is alot but thanks to anyone who can understand my nonsensical blabbering.

edit* i think i get what to do now i slide the slider up to 70 gigs and thats how much should be left on the E drive and i should have 20 gigs left because of 90-70=20 so my e drive will have 70 gigs left and ubuntu should have 20 correct? */edit

Yes, 20GB are enough. My Ubuntu is using 5GB with movie player, mplayer, vlc, amsn, pidgin, transmission, azureus, xmms, etc. I'm not considering my personal files, like music and videos.

About the partitions, If I were you I would resize the logical partition from 90GB to 70GB, and leave the free 20GB unlocated, you can use GParted to do it, you can access it from the Ubuntu Live CD. In the installation when it asks how do you want to partition the disk choose the "Use the largest continuous free space", or something like that, option and Ubuntu will use the unlocated 20GB to create the necessaries partitions and to install the system.
Ubuntu should mount all drives in your system out of the box, windows partitions also, so you can read and write to them. If not create a post and we will try to help you to mount them.

Yes, 20GB are enough. My Ubuntu is using 5GB with movie player, mplayer, vlc, amsn, pidgin, transmission, azureus, xmms, etc. I'm not considering my personal files, like music and videos.

About the partitions, If I were you I would resize the logical partition from 90GB to 70GB, and leave the free 20GB unlocated, you can use GParted to do it, you can access it from the Ubuntu Live CD. In the installation when it asks how do you want to partition the disk choose the "Use the largest continuous free space", or something like that, option and Ubuntu will use the unlocated 20GB to create the necessaries partitions and to install the system.
Ubuntu should mount all drives in your system out of the box, windows partitions also, so you can read and write to them. If not create a post and we will try to help you to mount them.

thanks i want to partition my E drive that has 90 gigs in it using Gparted from the Live CD so when i do select the first option or whatever with the Slider i move the slide up to 70 correct? so i have only 20 for ubuntu to use?

exampe pic http://img230.imageshack.us/img230/2340/w2u260tf.png

and i'd move that slider to 70 correct?

I never resize a partition during the installation, I normally use the GParted before starting the installation. In the Live CD, in Gnome, go to System->Administration->Partition Editor. Unmount the partition you want to resize and use Partition->Create\Resize.

After you resize the partition with the partition editor initiate the installation. At step 6 there will be a 4th option, "Use the largest continuous free space" I think, besides the ones in the image you've posted. Choose it. Ubuntu will use the 20GB to create 2 partitions, one for swap and another for the system.

now when i resize i should be sizing how much i want to be left for my e drive not how much i want for ubuntu?

should look lik this when resizing correct?
Screenshot.png

oaky now i've started the install and i've got the 20 gigs i want as unallocated so now im on step 5 and when i do the select largest contiguous free space it says this

Language: English
Keyboard layout: U.S. English
Name: C0138Y
Login name: doomraider
GRUB will be installed to

If you continue, the changes listed below will be written to the disks.
Otherwise, you will be able to make further changes manually.

WARNING: This will destroy all data on any partitions you have removed as
well as on the partitions that are going to be formatted.

The partition tables of the following devices are changed:
IDE1 master (hda)

The following partitions are going to be formatted:
partition #4 of IDE1 master (hda) as ext3
partition #6 of IDE1 master (hda) as swap

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom