Ubuntu8.04LTS Released 24/4/08

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well to put the info here instead of other topics. Emerald has to be installed a weird way.

Install the package "fusion-icon" (I just searched Synaptic for "compiz" and found tons of stuff, I noticed fusion-icon earlier today when I was setting up 8.04 on my Sempron, and installed it to try it out). It will be in the Applications -> System (or System Tools, in Vista right now so I forget). Click it and you'll get a little Compiz logo icon in your notification area (Linux system tray thing). Right click it, you should have options to configure Compiz and Emerald, and under that should be some options. Go to "Window Decorator" and then select "Emerald". That should turn Emerald on, then you can use the Emerald config thing (you have to have installed the "emerald" package first) to configure it and install Emerald themes. With the tray icon you can also quickly disable or enable Compiz/Emerald if you need extra CPU power or GPU power.

That will allow to activate Emerald. This trick here:

I just did it, and it works for me now. I had to right click > Select Window Decorator > and select the GTK one. Then I switched it back to Emerald after a few min (was messing with some other stuff at the same time), and my theme started working. Didn't have to reboot to make it work for me, anyway.

Found something interesting as well. Didnt know that if you hold Ctrl and scroll down. You fade out or make the window you have currently active transparent. Kinda cool.

There is one thing i do not like about Ubuntu 8.04 Herdon that i have found. It does not auto mount the NTFS drives if you have any. I have had to open up Computer and then click each drive to get them mounted and usable.

Any one got info on that?

Ubuntu never did automount any drives other than the Linux root partition. FAT, FAT32, NTFS, and even other ext or other Linux filesystems don't automatically mount. If you want to add drives to automount you have to edit /etc/fstab.

That is strange as when i had Ubuntu 7.10 i never had to do that before. The drives were on my desktop when i logged in. I never had to do anything like this. o.0

No version has ever automounted partitions for me (I've used 6.06, 6.10, 7.04, 7.10, and now 8.04). 6.06 and maybe 6.10 did NOT support NTFS at all (only read, no write) but 6.10 did allow you to install an experimental NTFS library, full of caution warnings, that could write. It actually did work pretty well, but none automounted drives.

If you want to add a drive, you have to edit /etc/fstab (File System Table, the file that contains all the drives that the computer mounts when it boots up). Look online to find info on how to add different types of partitions to it. You have to put the device name (/dev/hda1, /dev/cdrom, etc), the mount position (/media/disk, /media/windows, etc), and the partition type (ext2fs, vfat, ntfs, etc).

Well like i think i posted before. All i have to do is open up My Computer and click on each drive and they get mounted. So it isnt that big a deal. Jsut seemed strange to me that 7.10 did that already but 8.04 didnt. So maybe my installs of 7.10 were corrupted and that is why they crashed often. :p

Here it always mounted my drives automaticly since Ubuntu 7.04, don't remember in 6.06.
Mak post your fstab so we can take a look.

When i get back into Ubuntu i will. Just a dumb question. How do i get fstab up? I am still learning my way around Linux.

Well how do you access fstab? Thru the terminal? Is it a window i select from the Admin section?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom