Ubuntu wont install

Status
Not open for further replies.
to be honest - the same thought crossed my mind about my dvd drive. It normally works ok though. I guess what your saying is that its not reading the disc sectors correctly, causing it to stall. Maybe i should look at installing a new one.

That's a solid start. Please post back here when you get your hands on another burner. I'm curious to know the result of this.

Ok, my new burner has been installed ok and is working fine - was able to get a decent samsung one and i've set it all up. I made it the primary boot drive and stuck in the Ubuntu CD and guess what - the same problem even with my new drive. This is starting to annoy me now :(

Is there another computer that you have (perhaps a spare or an old one that isn't a big deal to mess around with) that you can test your LiveCD with to make sure the CD is fully intact and works fine?

Because if you can get the CD to work on another computer, but not your main one, we can at least rule that out...

Is there another computer that you have (perhaps a spare or an old one that isn't a big deal to mess around with) that you can test your LiveCD with to make sure the CD is fully intact and works fine?

Because if you can get the CD to work on another computer, but not your main one, we can at least rule that out...

I could try the CD on another computer - but not right now, as it's in another place! I dont think this it is the CD for two reasons:-

I've tried multiple CD's with the ISO burned. Even changed d/load source to torrent and tried. Also checked the md5 with the download.

Secondly, the latest disc im using is a cover magazine dvd with Ubuntu 8.10 on it.

Therefore, I am confident these discs would work on the other computer, leaving the problem to be related to my PC. (i think).

clark - I absolutely agree with you. But at the same token, it's just one of those things I'm skeptical about until I see it actually work. Knowing it came from a magazine is a sure-fire bet that it's okay, but I'd rather hear you say "Yes. I used this CD on another computer. It worked perfectly fine. Done. Period. Fact. It works" than just assume the entire time.

I'd bet my car that the CD is okay. But I wouldn't bet my life. Let's put it that way. ;)

Yeah, i see your point! I'll certainly try it on another PC when i get the chance. I think the main reason I was thinking along that line was because, it is the exact same error on my burned iso cd as the cover dvd version. It just stops with a list of initialised services.

The only thing, that i can think hardware spec wise that might infringe this installation would be that I have 2,512MB of RAM installed but my Mobo has a limit of 2 Gig - so essentially im half a gig over my limit but i wouldnt have thought that would be related to this problem, plus windows works fine on it.

For the record, don't bother sabotaging a good working computer that belongs to your mother or something to test this out. I personally have 4 computers, 3 of which I do testing on for work and whatnot, so I was saying that from the assumption that you have a crapper PC laying around that could take a couple beta test runs with that CD of yours. :p

When I have time at home this evening I'll tinker around and see if there's something I can come up with that may help you out.

For the record, have you checked ubuntuforums.org? I love TF here, but their entire forum is directed JUST for Ubuntu help, whereas here at TF there's all but a handful of posters. If you haven't registered there yet, do it, you'll be glad you did. If you have posted, then I guess I'll cya around those parts! (I'm Roasted)

Ok, cool - sounds good. Thanks for your help anyway. No, i never knew that forum at ubuntu existed, so ive just registered and posted a huge descriptive of my error, so hopefully someone will recognise what it could be. Will keep you posted.

An update on this:-

My main aim was to check out a Linux system, in particular Ubuntu 8.10 - I have been able to achieve this by installing eeebuntu (exact same as Ubuntu 8.10 but specifically for netbooks), on my netbook. I was able to install using my USB pen, really amazing stuff. I've still to find the time now to check it out - but I have to say it has a good strong feel to it.

In regards to this original issue - it still remains unsolved. I would still like to have Ubuntu on my desktop. The people over at the Ubuntu forums have suggested i edit the boot parameters (to boot live then install from there). I've had tried a couple of them but haven't really got anywhere. So i guess it looks like something on my HW thats effecting the boot/install. If anyone has any more suggestions, id be happy to try!

to be honest - the same thought crossed my mind about my dvd drive. It normally works ok though. I guess what your saying is that its not reading the disc sectors correctly, causing it to stall. Maybe i should look at installing a new one.

NEC products is what Packard Bell became, and I hated PB parts. Might be worth a shot, getting a new drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom