Ubuntu Upgrade?

Status
Not open for further replies.

helix2301

In Runtime
I been running Ubuntu 7.4 for a while I like it runs really well and I am pretty familiar with it and good at using. I noticed that 7.10 is out is there any real difference or any real reason to upgrade. Another question is upgrading easy to do or do I have to format and reload. Thanks!

I think you may need to format and reboot , i myself am at day 1 of using ubuntu , how the @!#% do i install the linux drivers i downloaded for my GPU ????

I think you may need to format and reboot , i myself am at day 1 of using ubuntu , how the @!#% do i install the linux drivers i downloaded for my GPU ????

System> Administration > Restricted Driver Management Should help you.

I been running Ubuntu 7.4 for a while I like it runs really well and I am pretty familiar with it and good at using. I noticed that 7.10 is out is there any real difference or any real reason to upgrade. Another question is upgrading easy to do or do I have to format and reload. Thanks!

7.4 is fine, 7,10 was more of a bug fix release IMO but if you decide to upgrade just back up your data first.

you can do an upgrade to the next distro without reformatting. unfortunately the process isn't perfect and there are horror stories out there. i think most people either do a clean install of a newer distro or sit on a particular release and maintain it themselves. there really isn't much of a need to upgrade to a newer release as you can upgrade pretty much all software components anyway. you really only need to upgrade your kernel every now and then, update software you use if you want more functionality and patch the odd vulnerability.

I recommend 7.10, but I would definitely do a clean install 100% of the times I've tried "upgrading" it failed in some way and some aspect of the new OS was broken. I'd back up my data to CD's, DVD's, or a different HDD or partition and then wipe your Linux partition and install 7.10 from scratch...however, if 7.04 is "good enough for you", then it's only a few months (3 months) until 8.04, so if you don't mind the wait, you can hold off until then.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom