Ubuntu trouble

Status
Not open for further replies.
I typed that in and nothing happened, it said it couldn't find the command. So I'm guessing I didn't properly install the desktop environment.

Do this:

su
(type the root password, it wont show up as you type)

apt-get install x-window-system x-window-system-core xserver-xorg

Then try

/etc/init.d/gdm start

I got an error.

Package x-window-system is not available, but is referred to by another package. This may mean that the package is missing, has been obsoleted, or is only available from another source.

The second command didn't work either.

Is this the right distro to get me started with linux, I really have no idea what is going on right now with all these commands.

Macdude: your command didn't work either.

It's not terribly easy to set up, but incredible to learn with. I've learned more in my 10 months with Debian than I did in 1.5 with RH and SuSE.

OK then, try this: apt-get install xserver-xfree86 xfree86-common

General: Don't forget that stable still uses XF86.

The command you gave me worked, I went through the installer but nothing really happened after I finished it.

My wireless card in my computer is the Linksys wireless G PCI Adapter with SpeedBooster Model No. WMP54GS. I think i recall seeing somewhere that linux has a problem working with some wireless cards--notably linksys ones.

OK then, try 'startx' and see what happens now.

It does have problems with wireless, sometimes more than other depending on the card. However, due to the number of native drivers (and Ndiswrapper, which isn't quite as good), the situation is much better than it was, say, a year to a year and a half ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom