Ubuntu trouble

Status
Not open for further replies.
Eh it was my fault, like I said the OS has been dormant on my hard drive for a long time. I had no idea how old it was. I'll give that a try and get back to you.

Yah it didn't work, so I changed the first line that gives the version number and said "_Breezy Badger_" and whatnot. I changed it to 6.06 and then Dapper Drake. Now when I run those last two commands I just get a bunch of errors.

Should I just go out and buy a blankd DVD and install it that way?

Yeah probably. But really, you should give Debian a shot. I don't know if you saw my Ubuntu rant thread, but I REALLY prefer Debian.

You can get the 100mb net install CD at http://www.debian.org/CD/netinst/

If I were you I get Debian a shot, then if you don't like it go get a dvd. Ubuntu is based on Debian, so they are alike in many many ways, just the few things they changed seem to really annoy me.

Hah, why not. I'll give it a try because I really don't feel like buying a DVD. I'm too lazy.

Would I be able to get Debian to run with a wireless internet connection?

aaronkupen said:
Well, I finished downloading 6.06. Turns out its 712 mb, and all my cds only go up to 702. Looks like i'm going to have to go out tomorrow and buy some blank dvds.
Is there anyhting else I can do?

Odd I just downloaded it and it was 697mb. I remember at one time the daily builds were 712mb.. Try downloading it again.

http://www.ubuntu.com/download

Yah, after clearing my cache it went down toe 697. I'm just going to end up trying debian. I don't know anything about linux and The General here seems like he knows what he's talking about so I'll go ahead and try it.

:) I am fairly proficient with it, but if I can't help with something, Macdude425 will. He uses Debian too and is more experienced. So we'll help you get this figured out.

You'll have the same problem with the weird colours when you first install it, but it will be easily fixed so don't work about it.

Alright I installed the core of it and the desktop environment. Whenever I turn it on all it does is go to the command and I have no idea of any commands to go to the desktop or to just do anything.

Keep in mind I am probably the most ignorant person when it comes to linux.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom