Ubuntu smartphones; Will these work like real PCs?

I'm thinking that if the OS is open sourced, and they have x86 phones running it available, we can do stuff like install wine and run full Windows pc programs.
If it's going to be the real thing (same as desktop Ubuntu except a different interface) we can run stuff like Open Office and the full firefox and enjoy the features of a desktop pc. Full pc programs are ALWAYS better than their mobile device knock-off clones.

Using open office on a phone will be horrible, trust me. If you need proof just rdp into any desktop with your phone and try using open office, the icons and menus will be far to small to operate with your fingers and you will be forced to do a ton of scrolling to accomplish anything.

x86 vs ARM really doesn't have anything to do with the issue you have with current smartphones, plenty of software can run on both architectures as Android and Windows RT has shown and even on Ubuntu most apps are open source so they can be easily recompiled for ARM.

If I understand your posts correctly what you ultimately want is desktop apps and operating systems on your phone. There is no technical reason this can't happen since Cortex A15 and Atom are fast enough, the reason it won't happen is a desktop interface isn't usable on a 5" or smaller screen. Even on large 10" tablets the Windows 7 interface is completely useless, I've used Windows 7 tablets and after 5 minutes I wanted to rip my hair out. That's why Microsoft added the Modern UI in Windows 8, they needed a new UI for the operating system to be worth using on a tablet.

Back
Top Bottom