Ubuntu to replace XP

IntelFanboy417

In Runtime
Hey guys,
So my dad's computer is from 2004 and still running Windows XP. Windows desperately needs re installed after all the crap thats got gunked up in there. Since windows XP will no longer be supported soon, and since my dad lost his installation CD I was considering just downloading Ubuntu. Could Ubuntu act as a replacement to XP? How different is the interface compared to XP? Are there lots of driver issues and can it run on older machines? Thanks, and sorry, I'm a linux noob. :p

Also if it helps his spec's are:
Dell Dimension 3000
1.5 gb of RAM
Pentium Processor @ 3.00 ghz
(I know its old but he only uses it for web browsing so no need to buy a whole new PC)
Thanks in advance guys!

I'd take a look at Linux Mint Cinnamon -- its default interface is much more like Windows. (and has an Ubuntu base (Debian based), meaning it can use .deb packages, which are essentially packaged installers for files (much like a .exe installer in Windows).

Everything should actually work better out of the box than Windows ever did. Just run a few commands on first boot...

Code:
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade
Then
Code:
sudo apt-get install ubuntu-restricted-extras
Those will refresh package lists, update programs, and install restricted codecs (video, audio, etc)

There's, of course, many options on the table in the Linux world. Personally I am hesitant to put Mint on anyone's computer because it's pretty much a guarantee I'll have to work on it again. Why? Because of their lack of upgradability from one version to another. There's no alternative besides doing a fresh install. As a result, I'd stick to Linux Mint 13 (the current LTS), which will still benefit from Cinnamon 2.0 as it will be (or already is?) backported. Since Mint 13 is an LTS it has a far longer supported life cycle, unlike the other Mint versions.

On the other hand, I've been using elementary OS lately. It is only built against the Ubuntu LTS versions, so their current "Luna" version is based on 12.04. It too has a decent life span, and soon enough (well, next summer anyway) Isis will be available, which will be based on the next LTS which is version 14.04 to be released in April.

As far as I understand, eOS will be implementing an upgrade path from one version to another. I understand a lot of people (myself included) prefer just doing fresh installs, but anymore I just don't have time for it, so I'll try upgrades and see how they go first. In the last few years, I haven't had any issues upgrading from one version to another in really any distro.

Elementary OS is very simple to use and very lightweight. They use their own in-house Pantheon desktop which is based on GTK3, so you may see some resemblance to Gnome Shell since it shares the same top panel as Gnome does. It's very lightweight (in some cases, tests proved it was faster than Lubuntu on LXDE), and just looks damn nice. It's very easy to use as well. It's something I could dump on a computer, walk away, and rest assured that the user will figure it out far easier than something like Unity. Mint as well would be in a similar category given their more traditional Cinnamon environment.

Really it comes down to what works best for the job. I like a distro that looks good, is rock solid stable, and is fast. By default, elementary OS comes pretty slimmed down (doesn't even include Libre Office out of the box - but then again, does Windows provide an office suite? ...exactly), but all of these things are easily installable through the software center. That being said, I've been able to use elementary OS on my work machines where I have to manage a truckload of Linux systems and it hasn't skipped a beat.

Use each one, see what makes the most sense, weigh the pros and cons, and most importantly see what the user in question prefers. After all, whoever is using it will be the one opinion that matters most.

I'm dual-booting winxp and ubuntu, if I were you, I'll just upgrade to windows 7, 8, 8.1 or linux mint. The only problem is that there is not much software that supports mint or ubuntu and the wine emulator can't run all windows software (e.g, chrome).

Chrome is Linux native, no wine needed :tongue:

Sent from my One using Tapatalk

I'm dual-booting winxp and ubuntu, if I were you, I'll just upgrade to windows 7, 8, 8.1 or linux mint. The only problem is that there is not much software that supports mint or ubuntu and the wine emulator can't run all windows software (e.g, chrome).

If you walk into an OS transition with the requirement that you want to run Windows based software, you're either not a good candidate for a Linux transition or simply not looking at the broader scope. There are some instances where Windows truly needs to be in place, but that gate has been closing more and more over the years. We've transitioned our entire infrastructure (several thousand systems) to Linux with extremely few issues, especially in the application department. My experience does NOT constitute 100% of the situations out there, though.

You can handle this in a few different ways. Some country (Germany?) recently underwent an entire Linux switch. They first started by finding open source alternative applications that are available on Windows and Linux. Over the years, they began to get their users accustomed to this software, such as Libre Office in place of MS Office, etc. Once that was done, they swapped the underlying OS in a hot second without issue. Since XP still has some supported life left, you could do that. Switch the user in question over to some open source alternatives available on both platforms and see how it goes. If the transition goes with minimal fuss, you're literally 95% already there.

Afterwards you'd be looking at switching the distro, and different distros come with different desktop environments, or interfaces if you will. I personally wouldn't use Ubuntu. Lately Canonical has been making some questionable decisions, but even when you remove the politics from the situation, Ubuntu's Unity desktop environment is still a fat pig and quite resource intensive on even semi modern day hardware. I'd get yourself exposed to a few different distros and environments first. After all, you can't help train on things you don't know, right?

Start with a top 3 list of ones you'd recommend based on your findings and see how the cards fall. For me, it's really just a big 2, as I heavily recommend either Linux Mint 13 LTS with Cinnamon 2.X backported (simple checkbox in the software properties menu) or, moreso, elementary OS. Some users out there speak very heavily of Zorin, which aims to be a more Windows centric approach, so you could consider that as well.

I have found transitioning users to elementary OS to be far easier than I expected. I mean, you have a dock with your open or favorite applications. You have your "applications" menu. You open Chrome or Firefox - bam, they know what to do. You open up the applications menu and it's a simple grid of icons listed A-Z. Poke around, find what you need, done. Updates are done via the update manager and everything else a basic user would need is already there. Need some more tools, utilities, or software? Fire up the software center. Of course, a lot of this still applies to Mint, or really any other distro out there, but there's something to be said about starting on a more minimalistic base and building up from there that really makes a lot of sense in some ways. Compare this to a KDE centric environment which has a thousand options in a thousand places and you can see how users of all types (even as a power user I still get annoyed) would frustrate users.

Most importantly of all... listen. If you're trying to push Ubuntu and they don't like Unity, listen to that. Back off that suggestion and see what they think of Mint. If they don't like Cinnamon, try something else. All too often people push *their* favorite distro or desktop environment on other users without really letting the user have a chance to voice their concerns or issues.

For what it's worth, elementary OS is one of the nicer looking distros out there, and it helps that it's extremely, extremely lightweight. If this is a much older system you're working with, it'd be a good candidate (pending that the user in question clicks with it of course).

Good luck!

^ counts the words... :confused: :tongue:
I don't see why it's a bad idea. Linux has come quite a ways since I started using it (I think my first install was in 2006.. i still have the Ubuntu 6.04 disc laying around somewhere!

On top of that, really IMO the actual OS you're using these days doesn't matter much unless you're a designer or a gamer. Nearly everything a typical user might need to use can be done through a web browser these days :tongue:

I know people have said this but ubuntu is a GREAT system. I have Ubuntu Studio and windows 8 on my laptop.

Ubuntu is a lot different than windows for many reasons. One major one being that it's linux and it has an interface like a tablet.

If you want to do similarities get a thing on how to use Wine and get Xubuntu. Xubuntu works on older machines and it is somewhat the same with menu's.

Don't just look at ubuntu though. There are millions of OS's to look at. If the laptop could do it I would say get netrunner because I use that just as much as I do ubuntu! ;)

Hope your dad has a good experience with it!

On top of that, really IMO the actual OS you're using these days doesn't matter much unless you're a designer or a gamer. Nearly everything a typical user might need to use can be done through a web browser these days :tongue:

Just had to post this:
mac_pc.png

http://xkcd.com/934/

Back
Top Bottom