Ubuntu Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

KSoD

Call me Mak or K, Mod Emeritus
Alright as i am still trying to learn my way around Ubuntu and all that i have a few questions.

Can you extract a Mult RAR Archive? I ahve some "files" i downloaded within XP and now when i try to extract them i get a error cause they are a multi RAR archive. So can this be done in Ubuntu?

Also what about burning multiple episodes onto a DVD like Convertxtodvd or Nero Vision can. Is there something like this for Ubuntu?

I really need these type of options. So i hope there is something that can be done.

Don't see why you can't do a multi-RAR archive, you have to install the package "rar" to get RAR support in the archive manager, but then it should work. As for DVD's, I don't burn DVD's on my computer, at least not video ones (rarely use them, occasionally burn an ISO or backup some files but that's it).

Well when i try to extract the Archive it says that it is read only. But i know it works in Windows. It will extract a ISO to burn which i have done a few times already so no big deal there.

The burning of episodes isnt that big a deal. I can just boot back to Windows. Was just hoping to avoid that.

You could also try 7 zip for Linux, pretty sure they make that for Linux, not sure if it has a GUI like the Windows version or not, but it's an alternative to the Archive Manager that comes with Ubuntu.

Well they have 7Zip and WinRar as well for Linux but they are command line only. I can barely navigate thru Ubuntu with a GUI let alone try to figure out how to run the Terminal. :laughing:

I figured it out. The NTFS drives are not mounted to be read/write accessable. Need some help on how to get them to auto mount with read.write access.

SATA Hard Drives. Internal.

Got it with this code.

Code:
sudo apt-get install ntfs-3g ntfs-config

That allowed the NTFS3G Config to be installed which allowed me to moutn the drives with read and write access to do what i wanted. :D

By making the drives writable i was able to extract those files from teh archive. It was the Read Only access that messed with me on that. Still need to find a way to burn some avi files to a DVD though. Maybe the Nero Linux will work??

What Ubuntu are you using!?!?! Ubuntu has had native read/write NTFS support since like 3 versions ago. Back in 06 I could side with you on the read only thing, as it was a huge annoyance for all of us...but now Ubuntu has had read/write NTFS for a while. Every computer I use it on (I use it on 4 PC's that have Ubuntu and NTFS partitions) read/writes by default when I open the NTFS drive (Ubuntu 8.04 32 and 64 bit editions).

As for video apps in Linux, not sure, I do all my video stuff in Windows (where I have Pinnacle Studio 9 Plus and Sony Screenblast 3.0), but I haven't done video stuff for years now, and I don't download TV or anything either (ok, once a year maybe I'll download an episode of Mythbusters if my friends say it's really good, but I watch it on my PDA anyways).

I am using Ubuntu 8.04 on this PC. But for some reason it doesnt want to read and write to my NTFS drives. But that is sorted.

I have installed DeVeDe to try out. Most likely i will just use Windows and Convertx for that part. As it seems easier to use than DeVeDe.

But the NTFS thing realy was wierd. I know that i had support in 7.10, but when i installed 8.04 i didnt. So i had to force mount the drives on boot which worked fine but now i see that it was only read only access. But that is now sorted. Took a bit of work but it works. That is all i care about.

As for the burning questions, have you tried k3b? I absolutely love that application. In fact, I like it so much, I'm going to set up a spare computer here in my office with Ubuntu just so I can burn DVD ISO image CDs for when I have to make copies of the software we have here.

Give it a shot. I'm not sure if it'll solve your issue, but I just personally prefer it and would recommend trying it out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom