Ubuntu Problems

Status
Not open for further replies.
What would I ever do without you? :p
I can't wait to get Linux going on my new system

Heh, i was just about to say that it looks the same as before. In the last 96 hours, i've used at least 50 of them to work on my computer.

Alright, i'll wait till you reply to this thread, thanks for you help.

Woops, I totally forgot about this last night.

Okay, at the login screen press CTRL+ALT+F1 and login, then run these commands sequencially:
Code:
sudo su

Type your password and hit enter, your password will NOT show anything as you type, not even asterisks.

Code:
/etc/init.d/gdm stop
wget htt[b][/b]p://us.download.nvidia.[b][/b]com/XFree86/Linux-x86/1.0-9742/NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-9742-pkg1.run
sh NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-9742-pkg1.run

That will run a fairly simple installer, you should be able to just it enter over and over until it finishes. Following that, you'll need to change your xorg.conf and to do that you need to use a text-mode text editor, which is no big deal. The one I'm about to have you use is pretty complicated but if you do exactly what I say, you shouldn't have a problem.

Code:
vim /etc/X11/xorg.conf

Using the arrow keys, scroll down until you see something that looks like this:

Code:
Section "Device"
        Identifier     "NVIDIA Corporation NVIDIA Default Card"
        Driver         "nv"
        BusID           "PCI:1:0:0"
EndSection

Press the "insert" key ... this will put you into edit mode.

Change Driver "nv" to Driver "nvidia" ... it also might say "vesa" instead of "nv" ... just change whatever it is to "nvidia" ... then press the "escape" key (that takes you out of edit mode) ... then press Shift+ZZ ... that will save and exit. Now run:

Code:
/etc/init.d/gdm start

If you get any error messages, write them down and post them here.

Hopefully it just works. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom