Ubuntu Problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

psychedelos

Baseband Member
I recently built a computer and it seems like everything is running smoothly. I have a 8800GTS video card and a e6300 Processor that has not been overclocked yet. So i have Windows XP x64 installed and i decided that i will dual-boot windows and ubuntu. Well, when I try to run Ubuntu from the CD, I wait at the loading screen (which happens to be very screwed up, its all gray and it just looks glitchy) and then a blue screen that also looks very glitchy says something about a video problem and tells me to go to http://wiki.x.org/wiki/.

First of all, can anyone tell me more about my problem? The http://wiki.x.org/wiki/ looks very confusion and I don't know what to do with it.

Second, is downloading anything from http://wiki.x.org/wiki/ safe or should i find an alternate solution.

If you guys don't know what I'm talking about, i can run the cd again and get a more detailed description of the error.

Ok, here it goes

First screen.

Failed to start the X server (your graphical interface). It is likely that it is not set up correctly. Would you like to view the X server output to diagnose the problem?
*I press yes*

2nd Screen.

Windows System Version 7.1.1
Blah blah blah
Before reporting problems, check wiki.x.org to make sure that you have the latest verison.
Module loader present
Markers: (--) probed, (**) from config file, (==) default setting, (++) from comman line, (!!) notice, (II) informational, (WW) warning, (EE) error, (NI) not implemented, (??) unknown.
(==) Log file: "/var/log/Xorg.0.log", Time: Sun 23:39:02 2006
(==) Using config file: "/ext/X11/xorg.conf"
(EE) No devices detected.

Fatel Server error:
No screens found
*I press ok*

Would you like to view the detailed X server output as well?
*I press yes*

Blah blah blah, same stuff as before but alllot more stuff

alot of them are (WW) The directory "/usr/share/X11/fonts/75dpi/" does not exist. Entry deleted from font path. That is repeated except the 75 dpi is replaced by different letters and numbers

The mention something about fonts and stuff. I'm guessing that's the root of the problem.
*I press OK*

Next screen

The X server is now disabled. Restart GDM when it is configured correctly.
*I press OK*
Sends me to a blank screen.

OK, for some reason the fonts aren't on that CD. Strange.

Do you still have the ISO for that CD? If you do, go back to the Ubuntu website, find the MD5SUM for the CD image. Dump the MD5SUM of YOUR ISO and see if it matches.

(In Linux, run md5sum <imagename> and in Windows, use this utility.)

You can't use the regular Ubuntu install disc with that video card, the nv drivers don't support it, and neither do the "stable" nvidia drivers (or the ones in the Ubuntu repository), you have to use the beta 9742 drivers. I have the same video card as you, so I have experienced these problems. Then once drivers that support your card are put in the Ubuntu repository, you need to format and reinstall because nvidia's installer nukes and paves a lot of essential OpenGL files that apt handle, it also breaks the nvidia TLS links (so the installed driver only works with one kernel) and the only way to fix it is to reinstall.

I'm not just saying this, 9742 is almost in Debian sid, and I am about to format and reinstall.

Get the "alternate install" disc and use that, it won't be all pretty, it will just look like the regular Debian installer.

Once you do that, you'll have to go to www.nvidia.com and download the beta drivers and install them.

hmmm, interesting, thanks for the tip general, i'll try it out.
Quick question, does it look different between the normal version and this beta version? I don't know if you mean if Ubuntu or the installer won't be pretty.

psychedelos said:
hmmm, interesting, thanks for the tip general, i'll try it out.
Quick question, does it look different between the normal version and this beta version? I don't know if you mean if Ubuntu or the installer won't be pretty.

The installer won't be pretty. Ubuntu will look exactly the same, just that when X starts and you see the nvidia splash screen, it will say Beta Driver underneath it.

I'm hoping you are looking at this forum, general. I'm at the screen where they ask me whether or not I want to install GRUB. I do want to have a program where I can choose which OS i want to run when I boot up but i've heard that GRUB is a horrible, buggy program. I may be wrong though.

GRUB is the best, 95% of all Linux distributions use it. LILO is the one that sucks.

You want to install GRUB. :)

Also - After it installs, it will probably be broken, so when I get home from work I'll write up the commands you'll need to run in order to get it working. Don't freak out or anything, this is totally expected. I know the nv drivers don't work, but I can't remember if the VESA drivers work or not. Shouldn't be a big deal. I'll be home from work in an hour.

Don't get too situated in Ubuntu though, as in a month or two you'll have to reinstall because the nvidia installer messes some stuff up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom