Ubuntu packages, dependencies and installations

Status
Not open for further replies.

emuobo

Baseband Member
I am a 4months ubuntu user and have always been concerned with installation of packages.In my case, my pc at home is on the net and i can install any package i want with synaptic.But my pc in school(i am on holidays) isnt connected.In everywhere i go on the net, i see that u have to have a network connection to download and install packages.Now, i am new linux user, but have also discovered that your downloaded .deb packages are found in '/var/cache/apt/' and have also found that YOU CAN COPY THOSE TO ANOTHER SYSTEM AND INSTALL them manually, and that was what i did on my pc in school.I also found out i can download packages from other web sites like softpedia, AND AFTERWARDS DOWNLOAD THEIR DEPENDENCIES from debian's site.Could someone explain 2 me why u must need internet connection on the linux system except for system updates?

Everything in the repository is like... a "remote" listing, I'd say. So when you install something in Synaptic, it looks at your sources.list file, which has all of your repositories. Then it goes out to grab the information you need.

What about with Windows? You need the .exe to install a file. How do you get it? It doesn't come packaged with Windows. You don't get Flash 10, Reader 9, and OpenOffice all within Windows. You must go to their web site via internet connection to download the .exe.

It's the same way with Linux, but it's just managed differently. And in my opinion, it's a little more sophisticated too.

Hello, what i'am drivin at is that in windows, there are no such problems eg 'libc6 has to be downloaded first'.only a few dependenciess like dotnet,flash player,java runtime are in Windows(dont get me wrong.i aint a big Windows fan.i only use my windows for gaming, all other apps done on ubuntu). Due to the presence of such dependencies in the Linux distros people think you must have an internet connection on ur linux machine, and what i'am pointing out is that internet availability in the linux machine isnt much of a problem, because this was one thing that almost discouraged me from switching from linux.

For example, in windows,if u need a program say audacity,ur friend may copy it for you.but in linux, he has to copy it to you and also copy the program dependencies if they are not installed in ur own linux or u'll need a fast internet connection to get them
This has made people sceptic about linux since they think windows has all it takes though i think the dependency stuff aids the open source community development, so is a blessing in disguise for Linux.
In my opinion, You can cope with installing apps on your linux machine if you dont have the internet on it, provided you have another machine that has internet on it-be it linux or windows.You can always get it done in windows by downloading packages and their dependencies and transferring to ur linux machine.I'am a linux newbie, so If i assume errors please correct me.Thanks a million

Why would you need to do such a thing, though? If you have an internet connection, there's no reason to carry around libraries of files and programs for Linux machines. Just "sudo apt-get install..." what you need, and it'll pull down all the libraries you need too without you even knowing.

That's what I LIKE about Linux, is how they do this. I have an 8gb flash drive jampacked of garbage, like Flash, Reader, Java, Office, Converters, Patches, etc... if I was working on Linux systems, I could have ONE single text file saved with a long "sudo apt-get install..." command with ALL of the programs I need in 1 line.

Example:

Sudo apt-get install k3b audacity audacious amarok

That will install

k3b
audacity
audacious
amarok

If I had Linux systems to work with, 1 command would do what I need.
But since I'm on Windows systems, I have my own personal 8gb flash drive loaded with stuff needed.

Blessing in disguise? You're **** right.

Linux is all good, but not everybody has a internet connection.Example when in school, i dont have a steady connection,I go to internet cafes, unlike at home where i have 300kBps connection.so i'll get my files at home and take them to school.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom