Ubuntu on my laptop

Status
Not open for further replies.

Darb 2k

Baseband Member
I have ubuntu on my laptop ( a previous release, i think it wwas right before drapper), but for some reason it wont update properly.

Since the edgy eft was just released i have been trying to update it to first drapper then eft, but for some reason it will not upgrade.

So i think will just reinstall.

if i do a clean install on my partition, will it affect any others?

i know ill have to modify the menu.lst again, but will do anything to my other partition on there? (windows)

i know this seems really "noobish" but for some reason i cannot remember.

thanks for your help

if you already have a Linux partition to install to then great, it will not affect the other partitions just make sure you install Linux to the correct partition. It should show up when you start the install process

here is a Tutorial on How to install Dapper (should not differ greatly from Eft): http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/installing

hope this Helps,

Jake

yea i was just worried about it overwriting the MBR, i guess the only thing i would have to do is make a windows entry again in grub?

Darb 2k said:
yea i was just worried about it overwriting the MBR, i guess the only thing i would have to do is make a windows entry again in grub?
Grub should automatically detect the Windows partition and set it up in the boot loader menu. If it doesn't detect it automatically, it's as easy as
Code:
sudo gedit /boot/grub/menu.lst

Then you can add in the Windows partition in. It tells you right in the menu.lst how to do it as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom