ubuntu and live cd

Status
Not open for further replies.

lancec2c30

Future ex-member
Well I am downloading ubuntu at the moment (90% complete) and am looking at using livecd. Now I see that you have to use command lines and stuff. So is that stuff like RUN: c/firefox or not?

You won't have to type any commands. There is no "RUN:" and there is no "C:\" so just move your mouse to the menu on the top left and go to Applications -> Internet -> Firefox, but I think there's a Firefox icon just to the right of the three menus on the top left.

Nah, you just use command lines for installing and such. You don't need to use command lines for launching the program... However, with programs like gparted, which is basically fdisk (which can SERIOUSLY screw up your system if you don't know what you're doing) you DO have to use command line to launch that under root (sudo gparted).

However, like I said as far as launching items it's nothing to do with command line. And once Ubuntu is installed you can customize your keyboard for certain actions. F4, for example, launches Firefox. F2, terminal. F3, calculator. Page up/down = volume controls. Insert = lock screen. Pretty nifty. ;)

Jayce said:
However, with programs like gparted, which is basically fdisk (which can SERIOUSLY screw up your system if you don't know what you're doing) you DO have to use command line to launch that under root (sudo gparted).

Well, if you consider pressing ALT+F2 and typing "gksudo gparted" to be the "command line" then yes, you have to use the command line. But you don't have to use the terminal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom