ubuntu install probs

Status
Not open for further replies.

astosoup

Solid State Member
i tried installing ubuntu...it booted from the cdrom. i selected start or instll ubuntu. and it got to 100% of loading linux kernel. then restarted to a black screen...no windows no ubuntu. this happened several times plllzzz someone help im dyin to try this out!!

Ddid you double click the Install button on the desktop? You have to go though the installation process. Is this on a new drive, or on a HDD you previously had? You'll have to partition space for Ubuntu to use if you already have an OS on there.

It doesn't sound like you actually installed it. You have to click on the install icon when you get into the live cd. Follow Makaveli's guide.

In my experience, I've had encounters where the actual CD was bad. As a rule of thumb, I ALWAYS burn at the slowest speed possible when making the image CDs.

Perhaps try another CD? It's worth a shot.

Jayce, that's an excellent idea. My friend had to burn ubuntu on 2x cuz his CD burner was so bad that anything faster wouldn't work.

I've never had problems burning CD's, and I always use 40X (fastest my old burner supports). How old is this computer (what are the system specs?) because older computers have a lot of trouble running Ubuntu in live-CD mode (which uses tons more resources...well, the same amount of resources, but there are much less resources available in liveCD mode...than when it's installed). A PC with 256MB or more RAM, Pentium 3/Celeron/Athlon 450-500-600MHz minimum (may go lower, but I wouldn't recommend on anything lower than these).

If your PC has 2 CD-ROM drives, try using the other one.

I've never had problems burning CD's, and I always use 40X (fastest my old burner supports).

Understood. But I work with computers all day long... I see this constantly. It's definitely a fact, the slower you burn, the more thorough and smoothly the process is. With image CDs, it can relieve a huge headache by waiting a few extra minutes for it to finish burning as opposed to finding out the hard way that the CD is bad.

But when I'm not burning image CDs, such as LiveCDs for Linux distros or some kind of bootable CD, I definitely use the max I can.

There's an option to have the cd perform it's own sort of md5-ish check. I don't know how reliable a self check can be, but you might as well try it out. It's one of the menu options before you actually run the live part.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom