Ubuntu Hardy Heron - VLC + Amarok users. Tune in. Question. - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Software > Linux and Open Source
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 07-10-2008, 10:58 PM   #1 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

Send a message via AIM to Jayce
Default Ubuntu Hardy Heron - VLC + Amarok users. Tune in. Question.

I have Hardy Heron 8.04 64 bit installed on my desktop. I have a custom built computer I made about 3 years back. The motherboard is an MSI K8N Neo4 Platinum. I am using onboard sound.

In VLC on Windows XP Pro on my desktop, if I play an mp3 through VLC player and crank the volume levels (on my stereo system, windows volume, and VLC volume) I hear a tiny bit of static. If I back off of the VLC volume a hair, it's clear.

In Ubuntu, VLC is like this but a bit worse. If I play the exact same mp3 (straight from my usb jumpdrive) in VLC on Ubuntu, if VLC's volume is up a bit (even much above 55-60%) I hear the staticy sound. Now, I noticed in general VLC seems to be a "louder" program, so even keeping VLC @ 50% volume is still loud. But, I question why I get the static in Ubuntu's VLC and not in WinXP's VLC. I thought maybe it was just the program... you know, sort of like car speakers. You crank it to 95% volume and you hear the crappy sounding audio. I figured these would be the same.

With Amarok, I got the same feedback as I did with VLC in Ubuntu. However, I couldn't compare it vs Windows because of Amarok being a Linux program.

Would getting a sound card help? I've considered it for a while, even like a 30 dollar PCI sound card. Would it be a boost? Or would I still have the same type of output?

Note - I'm using ALSA. All programs are set to use ALSA, as well as my sound preferences in Ubuntu. So nothing should be cross-interfering.

Old 07-18-2008, 03:46 PM   #2 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default Re: Ubuntu Hardy Heron - VLC + Amarok users. Tune in. Question.

What are your system volume levels set too? (Ex. In XP, is the master and wave volumes all the way up? And in Ubuntu, are your master and pcm volumes at max?)

I had a similar problem and found that by backing all volumes off a bit from their max I could get a lot of sound with no static.

Old 07-18-2008, 09:49 PM   #3 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

Send a message via AIM to Jayce
Default Re: Ubuntu Hardy Heron - VLC + Amarok users. Tune in. Question.

I found out PCM is a sound gain for the volume, so it's a lot like a car amplifier... when you crank the gain on a car amp, it clips the signal to the sub. So, by nature, having PCM lower can result in 100% volume without any clipping. But, 100% PCM, and you get clipping.

I'm keeping my PCM at about 70 to 75%, which seems to be the average vote on Ubuntuforums. Works great, now!