Ubuntu Glitch?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KSoD

Call me Mak or K, Mod Emeritus
Alright something has happened to my install and it has me freaked out. I have not done anything to it lately. Heck i havent even installed any new programs. But for some reason i can load my Update Manager and it show no updates available, but it says last checked 15 days ago when i just clicked it!

To top it off even after a restart, and reboot from Windows, i still get the ! triangle notification in the toolbar up top saying updates are available to install when i just checked it not more than 5 minutes ago!

Anyone have a clue whats up with this?

I'm curious if it has anything to do with the update server you're pointing to. It's possible that particular mirror is having an issue which reflects oddly on update manager, since update manager is basically a portal to that node.

I actually always change my update source, because 95% of users who install Ubuntu are pointing to the main server. Each time a new edition of Ubuntu is released, people flock to install it, which bogs down servers like no other which makes updating a royal headache. If you change your update source I'm curious if you'll have any different results.

If you go to System - Administration - Software Sources, it'll come up with a window with different features and settings. Halfway down you'll see where your update source is, which is more than likely listed as Download From: Server for United States. If you click on the server (it's a drop down list) and go to other, all of the available update servers will be listed there. If you hit select best server, it'll find the fastest one to update from and you can select it as your main. After that, go through the process with update manager again to see if you get a different result.

I'm not saying this *is* the issue, however I have heard on maybe two occasions in the last five years of where a particular update mirror was down, so it was just the first thing to come to mind.

By the way, are you on 10.04 or 10.10?

Secondly, when you open update manager, are you hitting "check" or are you just opening update manager to see what's there? Opening update manager simply opens it, and it will only list whatever updates it sees as "new" from when it was scheduled to last check. If you hit check, it's a direct "show me now, ******" type of function.

Well I dont have System>Administration>Software Sources on my menu. I took a shot of it. For you here:

2wbypu1.jpg

Yes i make sure to hit Check.

bdti0h.jpg

During the process, and right after the process:

zyeptu.jpg

Still shows 15 days. Even though i just clicked Check.

It is Ubuntu 10.10 according to the About Ubuntu page.

*Edit* I went to System>Preferences>Main Menu and found the option to add Software Sources to the list and am checking that now.

*Edit #2*

FOUND IT. It was Opera that was preventing the Manager from working Properly. It kept causing an Error. As soon as i removed Opera from the Update settings, it now reports that it was last checked less than an hour ago. Time to find out why Opera is being a brat.

*Edit #3*

Figured out why Opera caused this. They just released an updated version. The Update Manager doesnt handle these updates anymore it is done through the Software Center now. So by checking this I caused this issue. Well glad i was actually able to figure this one out. :lol:

Ah yeah I think the menu was changed for 10.10 for the location of Software Sources. I forgot about that. I was on a 10.04 machine when I responded to this post originally. Sorry about that! Glad you figured it out though. I have don't use Opera so I would have never guessed that, but at least it's a done deal. :p

Yeah i figured it all out on my lonesome. Strange feeling actually figuring it out myself. So used to working with Wndows that doing this in Ubuntu gave me a great sense of satisfaction.

Yeah i figured it all out on my lonesome. Strange feeling actually figuring it out myself. So used to working with Wndows that doing this in Ubuntu gave me a great sense of satisfaction.

Knowledge is power, my friend. ;) Kudos on cracking that one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom