Ubuntu Error 17

Status
Not open for further replies.

murdocsvan

Web Programmer
I have an EEEPC 1000HE which has two partitions on it. The first partition had XP, and then i installed Ubuntu onto the second partition. I'm no expert, but i think Ubuntu overwrote the XP bootsector with the GRUB bootsector. Not knowing much about it, i wanted to uninstall Linux, convert the Ext3 partition back to NTFS and install windows 7.

When i did this (using norton partition magic), i rebooted, and found the Following error message appear on my screen:

GRUB Loading stage1.4.

GRUB Loading, please wait...
Error 17
_

Since then i've tried lots of things, including creating a boot flash drive, but that still comes up with the same error.

I should also note that my netbook does not have a CD drive.

Does anyone have any idea how i can restore the bootsector?

i wouldnt recomment an application like norton watever to do such a thing, and i dont think there should be any problem of doing a dualboot xp and linux. well I have 3 OS in 1machine on my p4 machine. uninstalled ubuntu reboot my machine without having any issues.

ubuntu
windows xp
windows 7

a bootsector where you can create a recov disk? if so i dont think there's a way to recover it or restore it since you can only do so once per machine.

i wouldnt recomment an application like norton watever to do such a thing, and i dont think there should be any problem of doing a dualboot xp and linux. well I have 3 OS in 1machine on my p4 machine. uninstalled ubuntu reboot my machine without having any issues.

ubuntu
windows xp
windows 7

a bootsector where you can create a recov disk? if so i dont think there's a way to recover it or restore it since you can only do so once per machine.

What on earth are you talking about? Did you even read my post? Gah, wish people would speak english on these forums.

Also, CarnageX, i tried what you suggested, but no matter what i do, i can't get the netbook to boot from the memory stick, it just goes straight to the ubuntu error :(. I can't even get access to the recovery partition that's already on there.

Yes, when you installed Ubuntu, it overwrote the Windows boot loader. That's the point, since the Windows boot loader isn't exactly a welcoming home party to other operating systems. "Oh hey there Linux, join the club. Don't worry I'll boot you too!" Doesn't happen like that. Windows never acknowledges Linux exists. Grub overwrites the Windows boot loader so Grub can be in control and boot Windows AND Linux. By uninstalling Linux, I'm assuming (but not positive) you may have wiped out the "boot" partition (which would reside on Linux).

Your only option is to either get a USB CD drive or get a bootable flash drive. Either way, you need to do a repair of some sort, whether it's adding Ubuntu back to the mix so it's boot loader becomes present again (requires external media to boot to Ubuntu Live) or to boot to some sort of Windows installation to repair the Windows boot loader (also requires booting from external media) or you boot from a Super-Grub Live ISO to fix the boot loader - also requires booting from external media.

Either way, you need a USB bootable flash drive or an external CD-rom drive that hooks up to USB. I can't imagine any other way to fix the issue at hand.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom