Ubuntu and backing up

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skuzzle

In Runtime
Ok i use ubuntu edgy as my office workstation.
As you can imagine I have a lot of files on it that need securing, but also my mysql stuff needs backing up along with my mail which is run through evolution.

So far i have failed to find a sensible route to back this all up to DVD and i dont know if i'm missing stuff when i do.

I'm assuming i need my home folders entire contents and then wherever the db is stored.
I'd like to be able to run an app that does the backup for me though, by compressing the data and writting it to dvd's, also splitting the data if it doesnt fit on 1 dvd.

If you got any ideas on this then let me know asap.
Thanks
Nick

write a shell script

use growisofs and mkisofs to burn the data, you can use the du command to test its size and tar/gzip to compress it

once youve verified the script works you can put it on a cron job to have it run at a set time

ok, that looks usuable, but where are my mysql db's stored. I'm assuming they'd be in var, but i dont wanna backup too much as i'd end up with 30gb backups each time and i need them to go on dvd.

Thats the other thing, does this sbackup let you split the backup into dvd sized files ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom