Ubuntu 9.10 "Karmic Koala" Is Out

Status
Not open for further replies.
the official Koala version is fully released now? coz i've been waiting for the official ones so maybe less bug i guess.:D

Yes, the official release of Karmic is out.

If you're worried about stability, now isn't the time to play with Karmic. It's only been out for a few days, although it seems the bugs are getting knocked out pretty quickly.

If you're REALLY worried about stability, using an LTS (Long Term Support) version is the way to go. The current LTS is 8.04.2 Hardy Heron and the next one will be in 6 months.

So far I like 9.10. Not real different in the look or layout, but there are some subtle changes.

Yeah, the big hoo-haa about it was the software center, which as far as I can tell is more feature packed than add/remove programs, but still a nice touch.

6 month releases are always baby steps, very rarely offering "BAM!" additions. The next LTS is coming though, and that's been talked about for quite a while on the Ubuntu Forums. I'm anxious already. ;)

It's kinda nice, definitely easy (Software Center). I just downloaded 7zip with it and it was very simple...... Now if I can just get the .tar.gz stuff down :p

It's kinda nice, definitely easy (Software Center). I just downloaded 7zip with it and it was very simple...... Now if I can just get the .tar.gz stuff down :p

Haaa, yeah, tarballs can be a pain because they can be compiled several different ways. It's frustrating because you have your Debian side of Linux and your RPM side of Linux, as far as package management goes. Then you have "the middle guy" who can work with RPM or Debian based systems, which is the "tarball" tar.gz.

I run an imaging application here at work based on Linux, and it comes as a tarball. The instructions say to extract the tarball to the /opt directory, so (going off of memory here) I run:

cd Desktop (to get to where the tarball is)
sudo tar -xzvf YourTarballPackage.tar.gz /opt

The xzvf in that instance just does:

z - uncompress
x - extract
v - verbose
f - file

It can be kind of a headache when you're dealing with an application that isn't packaged in an RPM/Deb format, but at the same token, at least that option is available to install that software.

That one imaging application I use is the only one I've ever used or needed to use on Ubuntu that wasn't already available in a Deb package, so at least it's a rare thing to come across, but a quick google search gave me the instructions I needed when I ran into it so I didn't have too much problem with it.

Thanks for the information, I will save this as a favorite. ;)

PS - tried to rep ya but I did recently already I guess :p

EDIT: I added the Dictionary panel applet and tried a bunch of words, surprisingly I couldn't find one that didn't show up. So I even put in some that I can't repeat here and it even gave definitions for those. lmao I love free stuff. :p

Thanks for the information, I will save this as a favorite. ;)

PS - tried to rep ya but I did recently already I guess :p

Hahah, well thanks for the attempt. :p

The tar -xzvf switches used in the example is what the documentation told me to do with that particular tarball, however I've read on the forums about users playing with tarballs and it always seems to be very similar instructions on what to do.

Think of it like this. WinZip takes a compressed file and moves the uncompressed data into a folder. That's all a tarball is. The trick is, if you don't have permission to extract to the destination folder, you need to use the terminal - which is where sudo tar comes in.

OR, you can do this...

Hit ALT + F2 and type "gksudo nautilus." This opens Nautilus (your file manager for browsing through files and folders) as root. From there you can navigate to your tarball, double click it, and it opens with Archive Manager. At this point, you ARE using root (sudo) priviledges, so you can select "opt" (for example) and it'll extract there, whereas a normal user would not have access to it without using sudo tar -xzvf since /opt is a folder owned by root. Remember, opt is just an example. It's not where you extract ALL tarballs. :p

OR, you can do this... (which is what I do)

Go into synaptic and install "nautilus-gksu." Then log out and log back in. Now it adds "run as administrator" to any file/folder. So, navigate to your tarball, right click, "run as administrator", and type in your root password. Then double click the tarball and Archive Manager opens up, etc etc. Same deal as the above statement.

It's the same idea in two different options.

Option A requires ALT + F2 and typing the name to launch it, whereas Option B requires a right click + run as administrator. I find Option B to be more convenient, but it's important to know that Option A exists if you're ever working on a system where nautilus-gksu isn't installed. But ALL of the options (A, B, and sudo tar in terminal) do the same thing as the end result.

Hope this helps.

not to start a fight or any thing but, just a question, why would you even fiddle around with ubuntu when there is sabayon? it all ready has every thing pretty much pre installed and with version 4 my boot times were a little over 20 seconds and shut down was like 5 or 6 seconds.

it may just be me, but i find ubuntu extremely hard to use compared to sabayon. sabayon just works.

not to start a fight or any thing but, just a question, why would you even fiddle around with ubuntu when there is sabayon? it all ready has every thing pretty much pre installed and with version 4 my boot times were a little over 20 seconds and shut down was like 5 or 6 seconds.

it may just be me, but i find ubuntu extremely hard to use compared to sabayon. sabayon just works.

With Ubuntu "just working" for me, why would I ever want to use Sabayon? ;)

EDIT - Just to tack in here, with Ubuntu Karmic, it shuts down faster by hitting "shut down" from the menu within the operating system than it would shut down if I hold down my power button to force a power off. Never woulda thought...

I'm actually downloading Sabayon now to throw in a VM and check out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom