Ubuntu 8.10 Released

Status
Not open for further replies.

Osiris

Golden Master
Ubuntu 8.10 Released

For all you alternative OS fans out there, Ubuntu 8.10 is out and available in several forms. You can get the Desktop CD version, Server Install CD, MID USB image and the Alternate install CD. Each version comes in either Intel x86 or AMD64 flavors. Grab it if you want it, try it if you haven't.

The desktop CD allows you to try Ubuntu without changing your computer at all, and at your option to install it permanently later. This type of CD is what most people will want to use. You will need at least 256MB of RAM to install from this CD.

Already got the Ubuntu 8.10 CD and the Kubuntu CD. The torrents were fast.

I hate slow connections. Got an 8.10 disc from a friend but he only had x86, I want 64, so I stare at a slow 120KB/s connection because idiots running the connection throttle it down. I HATE being underneath some loser admins who insist on ruining our Internet even though we pay to live in the dorm. If I'm gonna pay for something, I don't want a dumbed down, shared-among-500-PC's, corporate blocked spamtacular, RIAA-approved government controlled anti-consumer "Internet" connection, I want a REAL CONNECTION...gah, need to get that SSH tunnel up soon.

Man, 8.10 is solid. To my surprise, the RTL8187B wireless device was supported out of box. I had to add my network and whatnot, it didn't right away prompt me with networks found. But I was also on a LiveCD.

But anyway, I'm impressed. My laptop is formatting to Ubuntu right now. Fricken awesome!

My ATI Radeon X1600Pro was FINALLY supported out of the box!!!!! With open source drivers!!!!! IT'S ABOUT TIME! I had the card for 2 years (and it really wasn't a new chip when I got it) and just now it finally works? Yeah, something wrong there, but I guess it's better now than never. If ATi's going to have a 2 year lag time for Linux, I'm never buying them again, but it is a relief that it works.

My ATI Radeon X1600Pro was FINALLY supported out of the box!!!!! With open source drivers!!!!! IT'S ABOUT TIME! I had the card for 2 years (and it really wasn't a new chip when I got it) and just now it finally works? Yeah, something wrong there, but I guess it's better now than never. If ATi's going to have a 2 year lag time for Linux, I'm never buying them again, but it is a relief that it works.

Yep... that's why I been sticking to Nvidia when it comes to Linux. However, ATI is catching up hardcore. My X1300 was supported out of box since day 1, and the computer is 11 months old. I never ran Ubuntu on it though, since it lacked support for RTL8187B wireless drivers. However, thanks to 8.10, it's supported out of box.

I must say, I am really impressed.

I downloaded copies of Ubuntu 8.10 32 bit and 64 bit editions! (Proudly supporting BitTorrent via a legal discussion.)

Yep... that's why I been sticking to Nvidia when it comes to Linux. However, ATI is catching up hardcore. My X1300 was supported out of box since day 1, and the computer is 11 months old. I never ran Ubuntu on it though, since it lacked support for RTL8187B wireless drivers. However, thanks to 8.10, it's supported out of box.

Wtf? The X1300 is the same R500 series that the X1600Pro is, how was yours supported since day 1? I had my X1600Pro for 2 years (got it October 2006) with no support until now (6.10 I think had support for some 3d, but it didn't support AIGLX, and thus, no fancy Compiz [err....Beryl, Compiz Fusion didn't exist yet]).

Funny thing is, not only does fglrx work now, but it seems I get 3d acceleration/AIGLX EVEN WITH OPEN SOURCE DRIVERS! Ubuntu 8.10 definitely did something right, and I'm glad to see Linux ATi support finally becoming reality.

However, even though it probably won't be this bad again, I'm still going with nVidia (if nothing else, BrightView makes your cheap dull monitor look 100 times nicer by enhancing colors, and it is something I really like about nVidia).

I can't give you a solid answer on that, as I did not use Ubuntu much on my Toshiba laptop due to the lack of 8187B wireless support. But I do recall the video drivers being fine.

And to my unfortunate surprise, the 8187B is still not fully supported. They kicked the driver over to the new kernel, which it appears to be supported, but it's not officially done yet. I can connect to my network, but I can't get outside of my LAN. Other people are reporting the same thing.

Whyyyyy did I get a laptop with this pathetic wireless card...

I went immediately for 8.10 as soon as I saw it was available while browsing the ubuntu site. The 64bit version loaded up live with the option to install and has some interesting features. The screens here show the new desktop along with the ability to install while booted in Windows.

The first shows the prompt for installation.

The second shows the desktop plus how the explorer type window appear when going to browse drives.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom