ubuntu 8.04 install problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

philbar71

Fully Optimized
When I try to install ubuntu through windows it goes fine until it says it is creating the image on the hdd I have selected. once that completes it says it cant access the CD and to make shure other apps arent using it and try again, so i did that about 10 times and still same thing.
so then i try it using the live CD installition thing and it says there was error in creating one of the partions eather the swapfile or the main root partion
thanks and sorry for bad english

Why are you trying to install through Windows...

The best way is to boot into the Live CD, open GParted (Partition Editor), select your Windows partition, resize it (free space will be Linux partition), Install on Ubuntu, pick "Use Largest Continuous Free Space" for location, and then let it install there.

I think to install it from within Windows like that you need the Wubi edition.

yes the cd has no defects and i want to install through windows because it seems simpler
and i have tried putting it on w/ the live cd but it says it cant create the partitions on a 40Gb hdd which has nothing on it

The latest version of Ubuntu actually includes Wubi. It's now a supported method.

But I don't know if it actually is any easier to do it that way, and there are downsides to doing it that way. It's a breeze to set up a dual boot system. If you use the live cd installation, it's pretty much automatic. You don't even have to make partitions first. In the installation, you can choose to have it resize your Windows drive and tell it how much space to use for Ubuntu. Then after it is installed, you will have a boot menu called GRUB where you can choose to boot to Ubuntu or Windows.

If you are having trouble resizing your partition, your problem may be that you need to boot to Windows and defrag your hard drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom