ubuntu

Status
Not open for further replies.

Luke

Golden Master
i installed ubunto on my secondary pc to learn it a bit, and i have to say, i quite like it. the menu's at the top i like better then the start bar in windows, the features for the bottom bar are very useful, resizing icons is cool, it's more artsy and stylish then windows (excluding vista). I would recommend anyone who wants to try something different, who is creative, and likes free stuff lol. I'm gonna be using this pc in my workshop, since it is a kinda artsy os it fits in.

Good to see! Just keep playing around with Ubuntu, it's fun when you start out. Oh, and don't be afraid to use the terminal, it's really not that scary! :)

Have you installed the drivers for your graphics card? With a 9600GT you should be able to use the Compiz Fusion effect very well. If you haven't turned on the "fancy stuff", here's a quick list on how to do it:

1) Install graphics card drivers (automated through the Restricted Drivers Manager/Hardware Manger/whatever they called it in 8.04)

2) Open Synaptic (System -> Administration -> Synaptic Package Manager)

3) Search for "compiz"

4) Install the compiz-fusion-plugins packages (the extra ones) and the compizconfig-settings-manager (I think that's what it's called..can't remember for sure). Also install fusion-icon and emerald (emerald gives you glass window borders like Vista).

5) After installed, open the Compiz manager (System -> Preferences -> Compiz...something or other, it'll be a new icon with something about desktop compositing or compiz or something, in Vista right now or I'd look it up)

6) Play around with settings, make your desktop awesome

7) Show off to all your Windows-using friends, watch them become envious of your awesome desktop

8) Spend days on end installing Ubuntu on their computers, teaching them how to install Compiz, and telling them exactly why they can't use MSN Messenger, Microsoft Word, iTunes, etc. on their shiny new desktop.

EDIT:
LOL just noticed that I put Ubuntu 8.10 instead of 8.04 in my signature. Yes, I'm so 1337 that I use a version of Ubuntu that doesn't even exist yet! Gotta edit my sig (or install 8.10 alpha-whatever).

I actually didn't really like the menu bar at the top of the screen..so I moved it down to the bottom (Windows habits =P).

Onboard should be able to handle it just fine. It ran fine on my HP w/ 64mb onboard memory, and it runs spectacular on my laptop that has integrated video (I can do all the Compiz customizations and it runs perfect).

It depends, some newer PC's that have nVidia or higher-end Intel integrated chipsets will work (Compiz doesn't need much, it ran fine on my GeForce4 MX420, and many newer integrated chipsets are faster than that). However, not all integrated chipsets even do advanced 3d. My older HP 734n desktop has an integrated video card (never use it since I have a Radeon in it) and the one time I tested it out, it didn't do hardware-accelerated 3d.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom