Ubuntu 12.10 or Linux Mint 14?

Thorax_the_Impaler

Minecraft Veteran
Hello everyone. :)

My laptop is currently running Ubuntu 12.10 (32 bit), but I recently tried a live disk of Linux Mint 14 and so far I like it as well (also 32 bit). My question is, based on the specs of my laptop, which OS would run smoother and/or would just be better?

In addition, which OS (between these two) would you prefer and why?

Thanks for all answers in advance.

Laptop Specs:

Compaq Presario CQ56
Processor: AMD V140 (2.3 GHz, single core)
RAM: 2 GB installed
HDD: 250 GB
Integrated Graphics: ATI Radeon HD 4250

Mint is based off of Ubuntu. It depends on what desktop environment you're using. I personally prefer Mint, but I also have a much more powerful computer. I run Linux Mint on my server and I haven't had any troubles. I've also ran Mint on an old netbook I used to have. I'd say just try out both and see which one you like better. :)

Last edited:
As iFargle stated, they are pretty much the same. They use the same repositories too. I've been using Ubuntu at work and I'm thinking of making the switch to Mint w/ Mate desktop since it's a fork of gnome2. I never got used to Unity. It's pretty much personal preference here.

edit: also, check out cinnamon desktop

Last edited:
Mint vs Ubuntu isn't much of a monumental comparison. In fact most Linux distros can be tweaked to no end just like the next distro, which helps negate the point of distro hopping... something I used to do on an every-other-day basis. Mint has nothing really appealing to me over Ubuntu (keyword - "me"... you might feel differently), and Unity has really morphed into quite the awesome desktop environment... something that I feel lost without when I'm on Gnome Shell or KDE. All good DE's, but my preferences are beginning to solidify in place with Unity.

Use what works for you. I've used each of the ~25 most popular distros for an extensive time in the last 7 or 8 years. Each one has ups and downs and things it does better/worse than the next. After all of those years, I've come to find out two things. 1) I prefer Debian oriented distros if at all possible, 2) I like to get the job done with as little fiddling as possible, however I love having the capability to tinker that same environment to no end. Ubuntu was the perfect fit in each, however, Mint would also easily qualify a rank in this area too.

The OS/distro is a tool. Use the right tool for the right job. Bottom line is, you'll be using Linux whether you're on one distro or another, which is worthy of a cold one. ;)

Personally I don't see a point in Linux Mint, if I wanted to run cinnamon over Unity (not likely) I would just install cinnamon desktop and log into that. If you go the Linux Mint route I do recommend LMDE, it's fun to use and a bit lighter and honestly not to to hard to use, it will require a little more work but well worth it.

Back
Top Bottom