Ubuntnu crashing like mad

Status
Not open for further replies.

klein1jo

In Runtime
Ubuntu crashing like mad

Hey, I just installed Ubuntu. When installing it said I didn't specify where to put the swap. Also it said the swap had to be on a different partition than Linux. I couldn't find where to even specify where the swap would go. Besides, I have 3 partitions, Windows XP, Linux, and Documents. I assume since I didn't specify where to put the swap, it didn't.

Now all I have to do is login to Ubuntu, look at something and it crashes. I'm just assuming it was the swap issue that's causing it, but it could be something else. I do have 1GB of RAM so it should last longer than 2 seconds.

Just sucks cause my Windows XP is rock solid and it's Linux that's supposed to be.

Well if you installed it properly it wound run ..and you dont need to put the swap file on a different Partition as i run unbuntu on my laptop and its 1 partition and it runs fine

Well I installed it properly except I don't know about the swap. I just booted Linux and it had about 20 errors in bootup. First experience with Linux, bad experience with Linux

Well, with the just-out breezy release (get it if you don't have it), install is as easy as it could be. Just follow the directions and you should be fine.

Swap has to be its own partition, it has its own type of filesystem. Just delete you existing Ubuntu partitons, restart, and then press All Files in One Partition and it should be done automaticly, but it will show you the partition screen if you want to change anything or verify.

So, if you just do that, you should be fine. I have used problably 10-15 distros and Ubuntu is by far my favorite.

Well, I installed it properly with the swap on a seperate partition and everything. I've had to install Ubuntu 4 times today. After a minty install, crashes still. And I even had the latest install right off the site. Must not like some of my hardware.

All I can say is I'm not impressed. It's very nicely organized which I like, but 4 times today and nothing but crashes. I've installed RedHat and it was fine. Maybe I'll try actual Debian. It might work.

I personally don't like Ubuntu. It sets no root password by default, which is not good, and I've had serious problems with X not working in Ubuntu. I could just install Debian in the amount of time it would take me to set a root password and re-edit xorgconfig by hand.

Be forwarned, Debian can be a bit daunting if you've never used Linux before. It's very easy to get screwed up during X11 configuration.

Do you think you really need a secure root password? Mabey if people are trying to acess you data in your house or something... Its not like there are any viruses in the wild for linux. Besides you can just do: "sudo passwd root", and enter your new password.

I have not had any problems with hardware detection in Ubuntu... In Debian, I have to manually load the forcedeth drivers for ethernet, but ubuntu detects it fine. Windows does not have drivers for it either, I have to manually install them from a disk.

I agree with macdude,

I just reveiwed ubuntu 5.10 for another site, although it had good features it just isn't as stable as many of the other distros I've tried, Unstability was also a factor in 5.04. Ditch Ubuntu and go elseware you will be glad you did

Jake

Ubuntu/Kubuntu are one of the worst distros I've seen. I don't even like Debian. For some reason, on my system, Debian an Debian based-distros always give a kernel panice because they somehow change the order of my drives [SCSI and SATA} and then I need to go hunt what they are. Gentoo is by far, the best distro in my opinion. It takes me 30-45 minutes to get a near-custom Gentoo install running and then I do Xorg and KDE, that takes around 6-8 hours [KDE is very huge]. Then I can do my work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom