TV/Linux Mod

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok. So I am taking the TV to a TV Repair place for them to gut it, so that step is taken care of. I was hoping to find a flat screen 13" monitor but they don't seem to be in any abundance. The laptop idea is a good one, but I'm not sure I want to do any soldering. If I can hook up the VGA cable, isn't that enough? Is it because usually laptops only have VGA out and not in?

Also, I should be able to fit a full sized motherboard in the case, so I don't think I need one of those super mini ones.

you won't actually be using the laptop though hence why I said by one that is being sold for parts not one that actually works...... It is very easy to connect a vga cable to a screen controller card but you will have to solder it. What is your budget for the mini-itx pc that is going to power it???

I know I won't be using the actual laptop, but soldering is something that I have no experience with whatsoever, so I was thinking of trying to avoid it. So if soldering is the only way that a laptop screen will work, I'll probably try to find another way.

Also, I really don't see the need for mini-itx or whatever. I don't see any reason that a full sized motherboard won't fit in the case, because this isn't going to be a super high-powered machine. It's an experiment and something to fool around with for a while. Cheap parts are the name of the game.

well mini-itx is cheap and low end but small lol I wasn't thinking you were going to stick a Q6700 and 2gb ram with a 8800gtx just because your bored.

Its just the size factor I doubt a full atx mobo will fit, a micro-atx mobo would fit (but psu may be an issue)but a mini-itx will give it a flush professional look as the VIA boards have most things integrated. You can use an external psu (like a laptop charger) and it isn't that expensive for the amount of performance you gain as cpu, graphics, sound, networking, usb are all built in you just need to add an optical drive (laptop slimline drive would be best), a hdd (80gb seagate barracuda-cheap as chips and good reliability) and a stick of ram (1gb should be enough). this would make a great dedicated media centre all you have to do is bump up the hdd size or use it as a alarm clock/music player. you can buy little control panels that are just 5 buttons but they can be programmed to perform any function.

Soldering is easy essentially your melting a wire on a heated rod and then allowing the drip to form the seal on the connector aslong as you have restraint for the amount of solder you use then you should be fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom