Trying Ubuntu

Status
Not open for further replies.

Preacher

Fully Optimized
Hey guys ,
Well yesterday I was sitting with my cousin and he really likes linux been using it for years and he told me I have to try it , because he told me Windows is pure crap. Anyways I would like to know how to install it ( im currently downloading the 7.10 Ubuntu Desktop AMD / Intel 64-bit version). Here are my full hardware specs , arom.daniel -  Trinity. I would like to dual boot it with my XP since I need it for gaming. Tell me what I need to do to start rolling.

Thanks,
Preacher

A small partition of say 20gb is fine for trying Ubuntu then just insert the disk when you have tried the live CD on the desktop there is a option to install click that and a wizard installer helps you through the rest.

I think the boot loader is called GRUB. And it's included, if I'm not mistakened, with Ubuntu.

GRUB is the boot loader and it is included with Ubuntu as standard, sorry i didn't include that info in my other post my bad.

Well you first would ahve to find the 20GB of space that you are going to use for Ubuntu. From there my best suggestion is to use GParted LiveCD (While you still can) and shrink down that partition where you are going to create the 20GB of space. From the looks of it you will want to do it on the 250GB drive correct?

From here get GPArted, burn the ISO to disc. Instruction on how to do that here:

Burning ISO Images to a CD or DVD - NeoSmart Technologies Wiki

ImgBurn and CDBUrnerXP are free to use so use one of those guides. Then boot with GParted in the tray. It will scan and from there create 20GB at the front or back of the 250GB drive. You choice. I would say the front would be better.

Then after that boot with the Ubuntu CD in and install to the new partition. After that check thru the Ubuntu Gutsy Wiki:

Ubuntu:Gutsy -

That will at least get you thru the beginning installs for software like Flash and thing like that. After that stop on back an we will see what else we can do for you. :)

Thanks , Maka . I saw youtube videos of people playing WoW on linux , all i need is to find an iPod syncing program , and I wouldn't need windows anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom