Triple Boot..hmm..wait..how about 4 ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Only 4 OS per HD cause u can only make 4 primary partitions and you can only boot from a primary partition

Iam sorry, iam little confused. I have only one primary partition and using two OS now. So it really contradicts your comment. :rolleyes:

Did u install both OS on the same partition?

Nope, I installed them in differen partitions. But I have only 1 active partition made.....ahh....guzz it major...we are missing something here........

First of all, there is no limit to how many OS's you can put on a single hard drive. Windows OS's can only install on a primary partition, but Unix/Linux based OS's have no problem going on a logical partition. The way this works is that you use a boot partition to tell the computer which partition to boot from, and you can have it boot a primary or a logical one. On my laptop (1 HD), I have had as many as 7 different OS's on it at once. Only 1 was Windows, and the others were Linux (for testing different distros).

Now, that said, I would install XP first. XP overwrites the MBR and overlooks any Linux installations. Next install BSD, then Slack, then finally Fedora. I say Fedora last because it has the easiest menu to add multiple OS's to the boot menu. It is possible to do it in any order, but easiest to do it that way.

While you're at it, you shoudl give Gentoo a try! If you want the benefits of Linux, and "windows like" speed, that's the distro for you! If you have any questions, give me an IM (JKHunholz on AIM)...I'd be glad to help you out.

I didn't know that about Linux. I know you can only have 4 bootable partitions when using windows. You cannot run windows from a logical volume. I don't know how many Windows ou can install on a single partition. Unlimited?

Now, that said, I would install XP first. XP overwrites the MBR and overlooks any Linux installations. Next install BSD, then Slack, then finally Fedora. I say Fedora last because it has the easiest menu to add multiple OS's to the boot menu. It is possible to do it in any order, but easiest to do it that way.

Thanks for the suggestion. I think iam going to dump FreeBSD. I heard it needs a different File system and is quite hard to start with. Ill do a triple boot then when I have time and space.
While you're at it, you shoudl give Gentoo a try! If you want the benefits of Linux, and "windows like" speed, that's the distro for you! If you have any questions, give me an IM (JKHunholz on AIM)...I'd be glad to help you out.
Oh ho ,thank you. I have almost all the versions ;) Iam kinda collecting linux distro's :p Thanks anyz

Just use the LILO boot manager and put the 4 OS'es in it. Some Linux will have a graphical boot manager that will make the trick easier. And, don't forget, install Windows XP the first one and after the Linux OS'es.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom