/path/to/filename

Or if it's in the current directory,
./filename

I think I got it. I did

cd /home/christian/Downloads
That put me in my downloads folder then I did
java -jar minecraft.jar
And it seemed to work. But I have to do that everytime I want to open it :(

Yep, it only works on java files (we are invoking the java command). You could put those commands (cd and java -jar) in a file and set that file to executable. (chmod +x)

Read up on bash scripting, it's exactly what you're looking for. Ill reply again with more information in the morning.

I'm a little late to the game here, but I figured I'd chime in. I started using Ubuntu since 2006. Ever since, I have tried other distributions time and time again and I have yet to find one that does a better job at... well... everything. Recently I vowed to spend more time trying out other desktop environments, distributions, etc. Guess where I am after spending the better part of 2 months away from Ubuntu and on Kubuntu, Fedora, openSUSE, and Mint? Yep. ;)

I'm currently running Ubuntu 13.04. It's in a beta, or release candidate or something like that, I forget. It comes out in a few days, but if you install it now you can upgrade to the final release after it's out. On every other desktop environment or distribution, there's something that just doesn't hit the spot, or leaves me unable to get a certain task done. At the end of the day, I need an operating system that fits a wide, wide range of parameters. I want to edit photos, whether it's a web site banner, a flyer for a charity, or a tattoo design. I want to make videos, edit music, and play my Pink Floyd concerts. I want an operating system that looks as good as it is functional, something that I can put on my system at work and rely on 100%. I want something that is easy enough for grandma to use, but advanced enough to use as a core server in an enterprise environment. That's why I use Ubuntu.

I'm sure many other distributions would fit the bill too. Mint is a great distribution and Cinnamon looks decent, but it doesn't grab my attention that much. Other distributions like openSUSE, Fedora, and Debian are fantastic as well, but all have their pros and cons, just like Ubuntu. Notice a trend here? This is just my opinion and my opinion only. You'll have to give a few of them a shot and see what you like best.

Another important factor that I'm finding weighs heavier and heavier as time passes is the "just work" factor. I love tinkering, I really do, but sometimes I just need to get my work done. Period. Through my recent tests with other distros (openSUSE in particular) I began to appreciate the "it just works" factor of Ubuntu more, as I ran into a few road blocks that I hadn't seen in Ubuntu for the last 4+ years. Doesn't make that distro any less awesome (in fact I loved it in many ways), but there is something to be said about the time saved from having to fiddle with different functions and features.

Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom