Things to learn

Status
Not open for further replies.

Snake-Eyes

Daemon Poster
I was looking at getting into Linux. Since i've heard a lot of good about ease-of-use, i decided to go with Ubuntu. Although, i do also have a couple other distro's in mind.

I just have a few questions. What key things would i need to learn before attempting to try Linux? Which of the following is the best for the "average joe" like myself (i.e, not doing any programming, or overclocking)? RedHat, Ubuntu, Gentoo. Would i be able to transfer all my MP3's from Windows XP to Linux?

I've done a little bit of searching here on TF, and a little using google/Linux-Wiki, and when i am finished with my chores, i shall do a little more. If some of these topics have already been covered (any where. TF, random link, anything), please provide a link (if possible).

A little about myself, i know more about Windows than the average user, but i don't know as much as, say, a programmer. More than the average person, but less than a hardcore/really in-depth with computers/Windows person. Kind of in between.

Thanks for any and all help!

I've taken this from another post that I made in response to someone else the other day and feel it can apply here as well. Firstly, kudos to you for taking the time to realize that Linux will take some researching and learning before diving head first. Your going to find it much easier and less frustrating than other users who do not want take the time to learn.

Having said that here is my original reply to another member that may help you.

Read, read and read some more about Linux, particularly about the distro that you plan on using. Get yourself familiar with the different terms, the file structure, the different package management systems, everything.

Without knowing the very basics Linux will be very frustrating and will turn many people off from ever using it again. Researching and taking the time to understand Linux and its differences from Windows will go a long way into helping you along. In time you will begin to see that things that confused the hell out of you at first will soon seem so logical you can't understand how you ever did it "another" way.

I've included some links to help get you going. Linux can be a very rewarding experience or it can be an absolute hell, it all depends on how you approach it. ;)

http://www.lowfatlinux.com/
http://www.linuxforums.org/
http://www.pathname.com/fhs/

I would also suggest the Live CD of Ubuntu to help you get more familiar with it.

http://us.releases.ubuntu.com/releases/5.04/

Take your time and relax, you'll enjoy your Linux experience much more. :)

Now onto your specific questions. I here Ubuntu is quite nice for people new to Linux. I havn't used it myself but I have used Mandriva (formally Mandrake) and would recommend that as well. As for your Mp3's, you can listen to them in Linux but as you can see in another post here today distros like Redhat/Fedora would not be the wise choice when picking a distro for multi-media, unless you don't mind tweaking it.

Use some Live CD's as stated earlier. Ubuntu and Mandriva have some nice Live CD's that will let you try them without having to install them to your drive. Good luck, your attitude seems just right for someone wanting to learn Linux. :)

tribalsun said:
your attitude seems just right for someone wanting to learn Linux. :)

:) Thank you! I was always taught by my parents to research before going straight into something. Also, thanks for the help!

About the Live CD version, should i just save it to my Windows harddrive or burn it as data onto a CD?

you have to put it on a cd for it to work yea you can save to windows hdd then use your burning software and burn it as ISO type file and boom you got yourself a livecd i made a few its easy. and when you boot it make sure that is boot cd first in the bios.

Check out Fedora Core 4 also, its nice. You can dual boot also if u want, then u could mount your windows drive and read your music from there.

i recomend not installing any rpm-based distro's. that includes suse, fedora, and mandrake/mandriva. the install will be easy, but installing any additional programs will be a huge pain in the ass becasue of all the dependancies. try something debian-based like kubuntu (kde is better than gnome for noobs to linux) like you were going to do. apt-get is a life-saver.

macdude425 said:
Ewwww...Fedora...
*sticks finger down throat*
I agree with jnev in saying that apt-get is a life saver. Does Kubuntu let you set a root password on install unlike Ubuntu?

[Me, not knowing anything] I'd think so, if it's an exact copy of Ubuntu just on a different kernel (that's what "gnome" and "kde" is right?).

Ah, gotcha. Thanks for the clarification. Then reread my post with "kernel" replaced with "GUI." Like i said, i don't know a WHOLE lot, but enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom