Things to consider. . .

Status
Not open for further replies.
horndude said:
****, all this time I thought command line was the sexiest thing ever created :D

To add point 8 to Shade's list, flexability. If you think you're too cool for a GUI, you don't have to install X :D

Wine is not unstable and neither is Cedega/WineX. I use both and they support my applications and games. In fact, my Win apps never crash in Wine because it is really not true Windows, just an API. Cedega tends to run my games better again in that it isn't a true Windows environment. Secondly, Wine/Cedega/WineX are not EMULATORS! WINE stands for Wine Is Not Emulator. These softwares just install the propers apis [needed to run Win apps/games] as Linux programs. These are simply compatibility layers excatly like how ndiswrapper makes a compatibility layer so Windows wireless lan drivers can run in Linux.

Until Wine can make a graphical and user friendly interface...I won't use it.

Cedega, my beef with them is the fact you have to pay, that defeats the purpose of Linux therein.

For Cedega, you don't have to pay. It is called using the CVS version. You're just not part of the support community and you can't vote/add games to the database. Otherwise, everything else is the same between the commercial and CVS versions of Cedega.

As far as WINE goes, I have tried Crossover Office and it is pretty nice, but it needs to be free. I've used WINE, and I just use WINE in the terminal becasue the WINE-Tools GUI is crapola.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom