Terminal and Telnet

Status
Not open for further replies.

oldskool

Oldie but a goodie
Is the Linux Terminal (I am using Ubuntu 8.1) a telnet app ? Is it a telnet session ? I have been looking, googling, etc. for info and I cant seem to find any. Thanks

No, you can run telnet from a terminal session though
Think of telnet as a method or protocol rather than an application. Telnet I'd special because it is both a protocol and an app... but it mainly a protocol. It's a way to communicate through a network from one terminal to another one

No, you can run telnet from a terminal session though
Think of telnet as a method or protocol rather than an application. Telnet I'd special because it is both a protocol and an app... but it mainly a protocol. It's a way to communicate through a network from one terminal to another one

Yeah, I know about telnet being a protocol, I just had no idea about the Terminal app in Ubuntu itself. Thanks, mikesgroovin, once again :D

Think of Windows this way...

Command Prompt running on the Windows GUI

and then

Think of linux in this way...

xWindows running on the Terminal UI :)

Ubuntu will most likely have a telnet client (`telnet`) it probably has a telnet server also but it is most likely not started and if you can possibly avoid it, then do. Stick to ssh (putty is a decent windows client if you need one).

EDIT: I see what he is asking now (and the answer is no). Nevermind.

Ssh is more secure yes, and it's secured dye to a key and layered compression
Which, coincidently, makes it faster too

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom