Taskbar question.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jayce

Fully Optimized
Is there anyway I can limit the amount of text is put into a bar in my taskbar? I have a pet peeve about it. Typically my taskbar contains the following. GAIM, Firefox, and a series of instant messages and/or other windows. It seems whenever I go to different web sites, depending on what web site it is it'll shift all of my bars in the taskbar around. I assume it's due to the fact that some web sites have huge names, and therefore tries to shove as much as possible in the heading of the bar at the bottom.

Is there anyway I can limit this? It's just annoying to go to different web sites and have my instant messages and other stuff cluttered about and constantly rearranging. Just a minor pet peeve, but if it can be changed, I don't know how to change it, and I'd like to know!

I assume you are using GNOME?

Right click the little separator thing for the window list, click preferences, hit the 'size' tab, then set the maximum size.

Thanks. That did the trick.

Yes, I have the latest everything. I just redid this entire system (windows and linux) from top to bottom about 10 days ago.

edit - Hm, I guess I just had to find a happy median between min and max. What I did is I set the min to 1499 and the max to 1500. That way, whether I have 500 windows open or 2 windows open, it uses the entire taskbar at the bottom. I don't know what it'd be for you guys, considering I have a larger monitor than typcial users, but after trial and error it's what I've found to work for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom