SUSE 10.0 X issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

syringe

In Runtime
I have had little experience with Linux on widescreen laptops (WXGA) and whose manufacturers don't produce documentation for. Yes, I'm talking about an Advent.

I just installed SUSE 10.0 (standard installation with custom partitioning) as a dual boot with Windows XP. I previously had Mandriva 2006 (used for tutorial examples), and before that Vector Linux 5.1. And, can you believe that out of the three distros I've had on this PC, only Vector was the one to correctly configure my X server?

I've been trying to configure my resolution and the monitor's drivers for the past half hour, but I haven't made much progress. First of all, I tried selecting the VESA driver in YAST2 - but it does not support 1280x800 (or any other widescreen resolution for that matter). I thought wtf, I'll give it a shot. I set it up as 1024x768 VESA with a refresh rate of 60, chose the resolution as 1280x800 with 16 bit colour and then tested it - the test ran perfectly. I couldn't compare the resolution without any icons in the test, but it looked a bit better..

Anyway, I switched to another tty, killed X, then it started automatically. The login resolution looked alright, so I thought I'd done it. I then logged in as root, KDE loaded, and then I was presented with the same ugly resolution:

http://img300.imageshack.us/img300/4364/snapshot15rg.png

Well - that spread over a 1280x800 screen.

So, I went back into YAST2 and switched the driver to the generic LCD one, with 1280x800 and refresh rate 75. I set the resolution as 1280x800 WXGA again (it had reset itself to 800x600) and then ran the test. Looking better. Saved the changes (as shown in the attached image), then restarted the computer completely. Back to the login - looks good. Login as root, KDE comes up, BAM - same old ugliness. I checked the settings in YAST2 and they had reset themselves back to this:

http://img457.imageshack.us/img457/3249/snapshot21an.png

Any ideas what's going on? Vector worked, Mandriva didn't (although I never went through the bother of changing xorg.conf manually) - I'm hoping SUSE doesn't end up like the latter..

Cheers,

syringe

It looks like Yast is not writing your settings to the xorg.conf file, so it is using the default.

If you know what driver you need to use and which resolution you want, I would recommend manually editing the xorg.conf file. This would only take a couple of minutes. If you don't know what to change in your xorg.conf file, just ask.

this is a common problem with many distros that while attempting to cater to rookies, you must do things in exactly the proper order or the automated configuration WILL OVERWRITE your changes

I do not know what you have to do to fix this. I think, if you edit the xorg.conf file after setting it in YAST, then YAST should leave it alone if you change it manually.

hey horndude

It's a common problem? How many installs have you ever seen this happen to? You may want to rethink your reply to everything post whoring strategy a little.

Yes, it is a common problem, ive seen it happen numerous times with redhat, suse, and mandrake...........now, do you want help or not? Dont come in here insulting people while wanting help dude. Help from guys like me is free, its voluntary, keep that in mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom